ethernet switch question

emh

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2013
I have what I hope are some simple questions. I'll describe my situation first.

I'm currently living in Bogota, Colombia and renting a room in a house. As such, I don't have any control over the internet service or hardware. I'm connecting wirelessly via my laptop but the connection is only so-so even though I'm in the room right next to the modem. And I get almost no signal when I'm on the floor below the modem.

I'm in the process of setting up a business working with clients via Skype. Obviously I want the best internet connection possible and from what I've read I'm best off connecting via an ethernet cable (rather than wirelessly). I would also like to connect a VOIP phone which will require a second ethernet connection. Of course, the modem only has one ethernet port.

If I understand correctly, what I need to do is connect an ethernet switch to the modem and then connect my laptop and the VOIP phone to the ethernet switch. Is that correct? If not, then what do I need to do? BTW, this is the modem type in case that matters.

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4021194.pdf

One other question: When I connect my laptop via ethernet, will that in any way effect my housemates ability to connect to connect wirelessly?

Thanks in advance!

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You connection via wire will have little impact...unless you are a pig and eat all the bandwidth.

It appears the device you linked is a router so you can just put a switch behind it as you describe.

Some model of IP phone have a built in switch that allow you to plug the PC into the phone and the phone into the network. This is done to reduce the number of cables you need. Depends on which phone you are looking at, does not pay to spend a lot more on a phone to get this feature when a little external switch is so cheap.

emh

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2013

Thanks for the reply! You're probably right that the device I linked to is a router. Though oddly I can't seem to find a modem anywhere. I don't know much about technology but I'm pretty sure you need both to have internet/wi-fi. Strange.

Okay so it sounds like the ethernet switch is the way to go. Even if my internet connection isn't improved by connecting via ethernet cable I at least want to try it out. I sometimes lose my wireless signal and I'm hoping that connecting via ethernet will eliminate/reduce that problem.

Thanks again!