Can a bad PSU cause a BSOD video_tdr_failure?

randomguy19

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
Today I started randomly getting those errors and I first suspected it was a bad graphics card. So, I switched to the internal GPU to see if that was the case and I didn't get the error. I spent the next few hours trying to fix it by uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers and reinstalling old versions (worked for a short time, then it just happened over and over again). Seemed to be working fine until I hit restart 1 more time...

Then, my computer stopped booting up (It doesn't POST at all). So, I checked what I could easily test out of the hardware, which was RAM and PSU. The RAM seemed to check out fine when I tested it, but the PSU wouldn't work on the old desktops I have lying in storage that never gets used (I tested if both of them booted beforehand with the PSU that is in their cases), but neither of them would work when I connected the 24-pin and either of the 4-pin split into those motherboards (both of the old desktops are 4-pin and the PSU is 8-pin split into 4-pin). So, I am assuming that my PSU is officially dead (luckily its still under warranty for a replacement...). I am wondering if the PSU could be the cause of the BSOD I was dealing with all day, or if I am extremely unlucky and my GPU is dead as well... (windows always disabled it when it did load with that as the main GPU without causing a BSOD).

As of right now I can't turn on the desktop at all (the old PSU are too weak to give it enough power to turn on) so I can't check the specific error code anymore. Can anyone tell me if my PSU was the only problem or if the GPU need to be replaced too... The computer is homemade and all of the parts are still under warranty, so that much is fortunate enough, at least. Relevant info (I think that is all the relevant info as far as specs go for this issue) are listed below.

PSU: EA-650 Green (Antec)
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce 550-ti

Note: The computer ran fine for about 5.5 months without any indications of a bad PSU or GPU, so it's kind of sudden and I am a bit confused because it is so sudden... Also, sorry about the wall of text. I tried to semi-split it up to look less bulky.

Can anyone answer this?

randomguy19

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

True, but I'm wondering if it somehow killed the graphics card and/or the graphics card is failing as well. I think the BSOD were from drivers issues (a lot of people are getting it from the newest NVIDIA driver) but when I clean installed old drivers, it still gave the BSOD, which might imply it is the graphics card dying instead of the driver (if this wasn't caused by the PSU). Regardless, going to RMA it and then buy another PSU to use and keep one of them as a backup in case something similar happens again. I'll find out then once I get a working PSU, but I kind of wanted to know before-hand to see if I should RMA the graphics card too.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
It could be the graphics card, there might be a bad chip that doesn't react properly when information is required. Best to RMA that as well.