What is the best way to overclock AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz

yabet

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I am wanting to overclock my AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz. Right now all I have is the stock fan that came with it, I dont have a cooler or anything. I am wanting to know if it is possible to do with out the extra cooler and will it be stable?

ebegab92

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Hi!

You can increase the CPU score to 18.5x so you'll get 3.70 GHz (over 18.5x it'll be still 3.70 GHz,because the fastest Deneb has got this speed).Then you can increase Bus speed in small leaps.With stock fan OC isn't advised because earlier I had an unlocked Phenom II X2 545 with the cooler of an FX-81xx and this cooler had an awful and annoying noise (500 RPM rulez! :D ).So if you want to OC just get a for ex. CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 cooler,then it'll be fine ;)

Go into the bios and up the multiplier by .5x increments then boot up and run either prime 95 or linX to test for stability if it is stable then bump up another .5x till it becomes unstable then back down the multiplier to the last stable setting. To make it stable at higher speed you could increase the cpu's core voltage but since you are on stock heatsink i wouldn't bump the voltage of the cpu up more than 0.1Volts. I would get a program to monitor the CPU temps to make sure it isn't getting too hot under load..

Or get amd's AOD (AMD Overdrive) utility and you can change the settings in windows if you don't want to mess around in the bios. It will also tell you your core temps and has a stability test built in..

yabet

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Thanks everyone for helping me out, I just went a head an bought a cooler and overclocked that bad boy.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I'd overclock the CPU/NB first. You'll receive better performance by doing that with overclocking clock speeds.

davy rockstar

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

yeah i did the same, but watch out the mem clocks, in my case my kingtone blu memories from 1600 i upgrade to 1720 at same voltaje (1.6v)

G

With a stock cooler you should leave it alone. if anything, not more than 3.7ghz.