Sign in with
Your question

Advice on new build - opinions/comments on chosen parts

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2013 6:02:04 PM

I'm looking to start my first build. The reason is because my current setup (Packard Bell laptop) looks like this

Needless to say this is pretty limiting.

Things I use the computer for: everyday use (surfing the web, emails etc), photography (Photoshop, RAW editing, stacking software for astrophotoraphy), watching movies. I do not currently game but this is due to the limitations of my laptop - I plan on getting into games fairly seriously.

Things I don't use the computer for - video editing, home theatre.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 6 months. I will likely do a combination of saving and buying components bit by bit. No loans, finance, or credit card.

Budget Range: Around £1,300

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. Happy with one monitor at the moment, will eventually get two.

Parts to Upgrade: N/A - complete build from scratch. Only thing I have that could be used is a mouse and 1Tb external hard drive.

Do you need to buy OS: No.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I've used Scan.co.uk as it seems to be the cheapest, but as I'm not financing the parts I don't need to stick with one seller. I'll shop around when I come to buy each component. UK only though - I do not wish to have the hassle of import duty.

Overclocking: Yes - CPU overclocking definitely. Memory overclocking I don't know anything about really.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 preferably.

These are the parts I've put together so far, in no particular order:

CPU - Intel core i5 3570k
Sound card - Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Sound Card and Headphone Amp
CPU cooling - Corsair H100i
Optical drive - Sony AD-5280s 24x DVD Writer
Hard drive - Western Digital 1Tb Caviar
SSD - SanDisk 64Gb Ultra Plus
Monitor - Acer 24" LED monitor
PSU - Corsair HX 750W
Case - Corsair Carbide 500R
Graphics card - EVGA GTX660 Ti Superclocked
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V
RAM - Corsair Memory Vengeance Performance 16Gb (2x8Gb)

And that's pretty much it. I haven't considered other aftermarket fans for the case, but would probably look into that.

A few aspects of the build I'm unsure about. Most of the choices have been informed from fora like this one and videos and reviews, but some choices are based on what I'm willing to spend and what's in stock at that price (e.g. the monitor, the SSD, optical drive).

I don't know whether the PSU I chose is the best decision - seems a bit expensive. Are there any other PSUs that are lower-end but still good enough for this system?

For the case I am torn between the Carbide 500R and Fractal Design R4. Are there any factors that would put one case over the other for this system?

Graphics card wise I was also looking at the MSI GTX660 Ti Power Edition OC (2x8Gb) which would be the better choice for high-end gaming?

For the RAM I am not sure if 16Gb is overkill and if I would be better of going for 8Gb with higher end card like Corsair Dominator PLatinum 2133 MHz (2x4GB) . I think the stacking process for astrophotography may be quite memory heavy, especially if I want to keep using my computer while it stacks. But open to opinions on this.

I'm open to opinion on the whole build to be honest. As I said, this build mostly came from me researching the components over the last week or so.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. And let me know if I missed anything!
April 5, 2013 6:19:37 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£251.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£77.27 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.05 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£73.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£299.99 @ Novatech)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case (£82.45 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.77 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2460h-LED 24.0" Monitor (£128.97 @ Dabs)
Total: £1150.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-06 02:17 BST+0100)
1. Case fans aren't that important.

2. That is a bit overkill of a PSU.

3. R4 is more silent and 500R has better airflow I believe.

4. Don't get the 660 Ti in general.

5. Don't get Dominator. I would suggest 32 GB 1866 RAM to RAMDisk your Photoshop.
April 5, 2013 10:29:24 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/OLhC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/OLhC/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/OLhC/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£59.83 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£103.46 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£77.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.14 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£79.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£299.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£76.79 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£70.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer (£15.04 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: LG IPS231P-BN 23.0" Monitor (£160.50 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1166.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-06 06:21 BST+0100)

IPS monitor will be good.
Marvell based vs Sandforce based SSDs reviews can be found on Google, i forgot which website...
R4 have good airflow and is neat and simple. Casing is all up to your preference.
GTX 670 is better in terms of price/performance, get the one with better cooling.
Higher end or gaming Ram is a waste of money, those ram are bullsh*ts, value ram is much more cheaper and can perform as good as a gaming ram.

You should buy all the components from the local, it might be cheaper if you buy it from local stores.
!