Sign in with
Your question

Complete overhaul of my pc, here are the parts, Opinions?

Last response: in Components
April 6, 2013 5:48:00 AM

Im planning to move into the glory of a miniITX system, and i just made up a nice parts list. My dad wants to use my huge, old case/pc so he's agreed to subsidize some parts assuming i buy things like the CPU myself. Anyway, here's the list

Bitfenix Prodigy -Black
Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz (either 16gb or 8gb, 8 is 100 bucks cheaper)
Intel Xeon e3-1230v2
Seasonic M12II 750W 80Plus PSU
Asus P8H77-I miniITX motherboard

ill carry over my current graphics card (Sapphire HD6950 Dirt3 ed) and my 120gb Samsung SSD and WD HDD, but everything else ill just keep in my old pc for dad to experiment with i guess.

(ill probably get a new graphics card later on this year by the way)

Thoughts?
April 6, 2013 6:10:50 AM

Go this
-17 3820
-GTX 670
-your mobo
-16 gb G.skills ripjaws(same speed but cheaper, just doesnt light up)
-Case of your choice
-If this is for gaming don't use xeon.
This is what I would do.

Happy Hunting,
Frosty
April 6, 2013 6:17:13 AM

I'm assuming this is for gaming, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I would swap that ram for some kingston beast ram. You'll get faster speeds for the same price. You only need 8 gb of ram for gaming, but more won't hurt.

That processor isn't for gaming. If this is indeed a gaming build, swap it with an i5 3570k, a low profile cpu cooler, and a z77 motherboard so you can do some overclocking.

If you choose to stay with that motherboard, you may want to change your ram, as it requires some overclocking to support 1866 MHz ram.

Related resources
April 6, 2013 6:20:16 AM

Frosty98 said:
Go this
-17 3820
-GTX 670
-your mobo
-Case of your choice
This is what I would do.

Happy Hunting,
Frosty

He seems to want to do a mini itx build, which isn't possible with a socket 2011 cpu as far as I know, and he would get better performance from a 7970 for almost the same price as the 670.
April 6, 2013 6:31:07 AM

Norlag said:
Frosty98 said:
Go this
-17 3820
-GTX 670
-your mobo
-Case of your choice
This is what I would do.

Happy Hunting,
Frosty

He seems to want to do a mini itx build, which isn't possible with a socket 2011 cpu as far as I know, and he would get better performance from a 7970 for almost the same price as the 670.

Okay that is true...sorry I am an Nvidia, Intel guy that is a good point
April 6, 2013 3:40:46 PM

Frosty98 said:
Go this
-17 3820
-GTX 670
-your mobo
-Case of your choice
This is what I would do.

Happy Hunting,
Frosty

Hi, thanks for the response, and i think it might be a wiser idea to swap the ram (but the platinum looks so pretty :3) However, as for the processor, ide like to stick with the Xeon for the one simple idea that i dont really have an expendble budget, and as far as ive seen, it looks to be identical to the 3770 only significantly cheaper, and runs cooler and uses less power. Also it doesnt have an integrated GPU but this is meaningless to me.

Plus, it turbo OC's to 4.1ghz :p 

Otherwise, yeah for graphics cards ide probably either go with the 670 or a 7970, but that will most likely be decided in the future.
April 6, 2013 7:13:14 PM

Glad I could help!
April 7, 2013 8:31:58 AM

mrlolftw said:
Frosty98 said:
Go this
-17 3820
-GTX 670
-your mobo
-Case of your choice
This is what I would do.

Happy Hunting,
Frosty

Hi, thanks for the response, and i think it might be a wiser idea to swap the ram (but the platinum looks so pretty :3) However, as for the processor, ide like to stick with the Xeon for the one simple idea that i dont really have an expendble budget, and as far as ive seen, it looks to be identical to the 3770 only significantly cheaper, and runs cooler and uses less power. Also it doesnt have an integrated GPU but this is meaningless to me.

Plus, it turbo OC's to 4.1ghz :p 

Otherwise, yeah for graphics cards ide probably either go with the 670 or a 7970, but that will most likely be decided in the future.

If it's just for gaming, the 3770k is only about 1-3% faster than the 3570k, and once again, xeon cpus aren't meant for gaming like enthusiast processors are. I'd go with the i5 here.
!