Sign in with
Your question

Would it help adding a fan to the top of my case?

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2013 6:38:24 AM

Okay so here is the thing, i installed a H80I in my system and when i did that i had to take off the old case fan from CM. but now i have that laying around and i thought would it be worth it to place that on top of the case? to make like a blow hole?
My case is CM storm enforcer it got a huge fan in the front which is sucking air in from the outside and my H80I is then sucking air in and out of my system.
this is the rest of my specs:
INTEL CORE I7 2600K 3.4GHZ

SLI GTX 560

Corsair vengence 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz

CoolerMaster GX750 PSU

MSI P67A-GD65 Motherboard

WD 5400RPM 1.5TB 64MB buffer

Corsair H80i

Thanks you in advance.

More about : adding fan top case

April 7, 2013 5:51:40 PM

It definitly wouldn't hurt, if you have a fan sucking hot air around your CPU out of your case it should help!
April 7, 2013 9:30:27 PM

nizzel said:
and my H80I is then sucking air in and out of my system.

Can you explain that, which way is the air going?
I recommend you set the H80i to be exhausting air if you havent set it that way already.

Personally, I'm a fan of positive case pressure. I would stick the H80i to the top of the case exhausting air (easier to blow hot air upward than sideways) and put your 120mm at the back intaking, feeding the radiator with cool air.

Related resources
April 8, 2013 4:24:37 AM

manofchalk said:
nizzel said:
and my H80I is then sucking air in and out of my system.

Can you explain that, which way is the air going?
I recommend you set the H80i to be exhausting air if you havent set it that way already.

Personally, I'm a fan of positive case pressure. I would stick the H80i to the top of the case exhausting air (easier to blow hot air upward than sideways) and put your 120mm at the back intaking, feeding the radiator with cool air.

This is my first time on tomshardware forum and its really nice to see some quick answers - i appricate that :) 
my H80I is set to exhaust air, i might have explained it a bit odd before but now you know 100% that it is exhausting air.
i cant st ick the H80I to the top of my case since there is not enough room. so my only option is to put the 120mm fan on the top and im just thinking if it would be worth it at all or just fuck up the "air stream"
April 8, 2013 4:32:19 AM

Just leave the fan off I think, you dont want a fan there competing for air with the H80i. The top will just passively radiate heat as it naturally rises.

A possible use for it would be to cool your mobo VRM's.
I personally don't think its an issue, but some of the (more knowledgeable than me I'l admit) water-coolers here say that you should have airflow around the CPU socket to cool the VRM's. All boards are designed with the stock heatsink in mind, which blows air down onto the board and the design harness that.
With a water-cooling system you lose that airflow, leading to higher temps on the VRM's and nearby capacitors. If possible, you could jury rig the fan in to provide that airflow. I decided to to play it safe and zip tied in an old 80mm fan I had lying around.
April 8, 2013 8:09:14 AM

Heat rises so putting it as a top exhaust should help. The H80i will still be able to draw in air, it's just that now there will be 2 currents there as to whether or not this will negatively impact the radiators cooling ability I am not quite certain but if it does I would expect to see only a couple celsius increase. But it should also provide a bit more airflow in the case exhausting the heat so it may drop other temps in the case by expelling the heat faster.

As you have to keep in mind with only your h80i providing exhaust as it sounds like you not expelling as much air as you think. For arguments sake lets say the fan on there is 80cfm fan the grills on the radiator will restrict the air flow 50% (probably a LOT more but I like simple numbers and giving it benefit of the doubt) so thats 40cfm than the grill of the case actually restricts air flow as well by lets say 25% (another easy number, and not unresonable, wish I still had a link to all the air restrictions they found on computer grills I read years ago) so thats 30cfm of air being exhausted by the rear fan. And a top vent that is just open.

If you were to toss a fan on that top vent to put more negative pressure to expel the heat you can suck out the heat even faster out of the case. In this case if you were to toss in a 80cfm there and its restricted 25% by the grill it still be pushing 60cfm.

And even if you do find a way to put the h80i on the top don't have the top rear fan as an intake it will just screw up the thermal layering (hot air goes up, cool air down, layers) in the case and will bring the overall temp of the case up. Though it may have the effect of keeping the CPU slightly cooling everything else will run hotter.

Hmm looking at this it looks like I tried to get technical without having the exact numbers, hopefully I got the point across as the logic behind this is right.

But in short put the top fan in the case I suspect that overall the temps will go down in the case but due to the nature of the competing air currents with the h80i radiator those temps have a chance of raising slightly. Theres too many factors I can think of which change the effects of this so I can't say for certain so try it and see what happens.
April 8, 2013 9:52:04 AM

assasin32 said:
Heat rises so putting it as a top exhaust should help. The H80i will still be able to draw in air, it's just that now there will be 2 currents there as to whether or not this will negatively impact the radiators cooling ability I am not quite certain but if it does I would expect to see only a couple celsius increase. But it should also provide a bit more airflow in the case exhausting the heat so it may drop other temps in the case by expelling the heat faster.

As you have to keep in mind with only your h80i providing exhaust as it sounds like you not expelling as much air as you think. For arguments sake lets say the fan on there is 80cfm fan the grills on the radiator will restrict the air flow 50% (probably a LOT more but I like simple numbers and giving it benefit of the doubt) so thats 40cfm than the grill of the case actually restricts air flow as well by lets say 25% (another easy number, and not unresonable, wish I still had a link to all the air restrictions they found on computer grills I read years ago) so thats 30cfm of air being exhausted by the rear fan. And a top vent that is just open.

If you were to toss a fan on that top vent to put more negative pressure to expel the heat you can suck out the heat even faster out of the case. In this case if you were to toss in a 80cfm there and its restricted 25% by the grill it still be pushing 60cfm.

And even if you do find a way to put the h80i on the top don't have the top rear fan as an intake it will just screw up the thermal layering (hot air goes up, cool air down, layers) in the case and will bring the overall temp of the case up. Though it may have the effect of keeping the CPU slightly cooling everything else will run hotter.

Hmm looking at this it looks like I tried to get technical without having the exact numbers, hopefully I got the point across as the logic behind this is right.

But in short put the top fan in the case I suspect that overall the temps will go down in the case but due to the nature of the competing air currents with the h80i radiator those temps have a chance of raising slightly. Theres too many factors I can think of which change the effects of this so I can't say for certain so try it and see what happens.

Okay thanks for the tips and info on all of this. i might not have understood it all but i think i got your point.
!