No post beep, but fans and leds working after mobo and cpu upgrade

Goens

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Hi everyone!

As the title says it, I recently screwed up my mobo and had to get a new one, along with a new cpu for socket reasons. I just installed them today, and I can't get the pc to boot. I can't even hear any beeps from the bios or anything. The only thing that happens is that all fans go on, and the leds, and you hear the drives spinning and such. Here is my configuration (worked for almost three years with some upgrades in between until I screwed up my old mobo)

Motherboard : Asus P8B75-M LE
Cpu: Intel i5 3330
Memory : 2x2Gb Kingston hyperx ddr3
Hdd: 1x w.d. Caviar blue 500 gb, 1x w.d. Caviar black 1tb
A cheap lg optical drive don't remember which
Graphics Card: nvidia geforce gtx 660
Psu: be quiet 430 W

Now, to try and diagnose the problem Ive done everything I could think of:

I triple and cuadruple checked that everything was plugged in correctly and nothing was left out

I tried removing the sata devices and the graphics card to see if the power or one of the devices was the problem

I tried removing the ram (only then I got some beeps which I assume were for not having any memory), so that can't be it either

I removed and carefully replaced the cpu three times, and I also looked made sure I had not accidentally bent any pins or anything while putting it in.

I actually even tried things like resetting the bios with the jumper, or reversing the pins for the power button on the case, as those are not well marked and could be that that is the problem, but of course, since the pc does go on it can't be that.

So the only thing that l have not discarded is that the mobo or the cpu are dead, but that seems highly unlikely since I bought both a few hours ago, they are just like new. On tje other hand, all other components were still working yesterday before I screwed up my mobo.

I have run out of ideas now and have not made a single step forward towards solving the issue. Please help me, do you have an idea what could be the problem??

Thanks!

Andrés

Goens

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

But I actually tried removing everything, including the video card (and all the drives), and it still would not come to the bios. I'd think the 430W psu should handle the motherboard alone, shouldn't it? (The mobo has also an onboard graphics card) So that cannot really be the problem

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The 430 watt psu only has about 336 watts on the 12v rail (less if a cheap brand), it might be that the lack of power has caused a short in the motherboard and although you now remove the other devices, it's all a bit too late, the damage has been done.

The only way to be certain is to acquire a different PSU to make sure that the motherboard is not damaged and the 430 watt PSU is actually faulty.

What is the Brand and model number of your PSU?

Goens

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

That sounds plausible, albeit not really nice. The PSU is a "Be Quiet!", BQT L7-430W . I'll see if I can get a more powerful PSU to try it out, thanks for the tip.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
BQT L7-430W
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page1354.htm

It's not actually a bad PSU, it does have 36 amps on the 12v rail (360 watts) but you also have to account for the power requirement of your other components.

It might not be the PSU but could be the ram -
2 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8B75M_LE/#specifications

What speed is your ram?

Also, how did you screw up your ol motherboard? :)

Goens

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I finally got it! I had not enough screws so i had left out a few of the standoffs, and the mobo was making contact with the case. A good reinstall fixed it.

Hehe, that's an embarrassing story. While cleaning I was dumb enough to remove the cpu and try to clean in the vicinity of the socket. While doing this, I bent a few pins. I tried rebending them, but it didn't work out.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Bent pins on the cpu is not as bad as most people say, you just have to be really careful how you straighten them and that they all line up evenly. A lsightly out of alignment pin can still cause a problem, you have to be calm, vigilant, and really careful to re-align the pins. Ive done it many times and never had any problems when there were only a couple of bent pins. There was only one time when I couldn't straighten the pins because most of them were bent flat to the cpu and I coulddn't get them all straight again, i had stood on it when it dropped to the floor, it was a really good cpu as well :(

As for your motherboard, you shouldn't be using a case where the motherboard actually touches the edge of the case, and you only need to make sure the motherboard does not rattle or move. Also, you should remove any standoffs that are not being used so they don't damaged the underside of the motherboard.