First-Time Builder: Advice on Current Part Selection

Nightspectre

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
About a week ago I posted a thread asking for a good place to start regarding my first attempt at building a gaming PC. After an incredible volume of advice and suggestions on that thread, I've put together a first attempt at selecting parts for this PC. I'd like to put this build up (which I'll be buying in approximately 3 weeks) and get some advice regarding compatibility of the parts and the quality of the parts themselves.

Purpose: Mostly gaming, though this will be used for most forms of entertainment (movies, etc.) as well as work, since this will serve as my central computer.
Budget: $1800-2200
Purchase Date: Approximately 3 weeks from now
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OQhM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OQhM/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OQhM/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.84 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($133.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($426.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor ($177.58 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1964.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-06 14:06 EDT-0400)

A few specific notes and questions to keep in mind:

- I do plan to try overclocking in the future when I feel comfortable with this build; that's why I'm going with a K-series CPU and a supporting motherboard.
- I also want to do SLI eventually, but not at the moment; I'd rather stick with a single card right now.
- I know the i5 is best if you're going to use a computer strictly for gaming, but as this is going to be my primary computer/entertainment system, I'd like to go with an i7 to take advantage of HT in non-gaming situations.
- I've been told that extensive modding on games such as Skyrim may require higher vRAM; this is why I went with the 4GB 670.
- I'd like to select a Blu-Ray compatible optical drive to fit into this build as well, but I'm not sure which brand I should select for that, as those tend to become pricey.
- I initially thought that my university offered Windows 8 for $15; turns out they only offer an upgrade for $15, not the full OS. As such, given my preference for W7 (after trying them both), I'd like to go with W7 for this build. Will I be seriously hurting myself by sticking with an older OS?
-On a related note, if this is the only computer I plan to use it on, am I okay with getting the OEM version rather than the retail version of the OS?
- I wanted to include a higher-power PSU for future-proofing, but is 850 too much if I eventually want to overclock + get another 670 for SLI? Furthermore, is the quality of the PSU I chose good? I'm aware that a bad PSU can fry the rest of the build, which would be catastrophic.
-Is EVGA a good brand through which to get the GTX 670? Or is there another brand to be recommended?

Thank you all again for your advice and aid!

Nightspectre

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Thanks!
I've already got an Asus ROG GX800 mouse, and I'm perfectly happy with it at the moment; that's why I didn't list a mouse in my components list. Thanks for the recommendation, though.