Rumor: Microsoft Cloning Google Glass Too for 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearless1333

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Wow, incompatibility is going to be rampant.

The Google "smartwatch" will connect with Google Shoes, the xphone, the Google TV, possibly the new Xbox and Google Glass.

The Apple iWatch (as some current rumors suggest) will connect with the iPhone, the iPod touch, the iPad, etc. The rumored iRing will connect with the iTV.

The Samsung Smart Watch will connect with Samsung smart phones through Android.

Three watches and all 3 connect with something different. Why.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Google, Microsoft and others are attempting to somehow tie this in to their services, but the only true, lasting effect of this technology will be the (gradual) elimination of fixed physical displays.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I like HUD distractions. voyeurism, and the elimination of privacy as much as anyone else but I'll wait for Apple's "iGlasses" or whatever they iCall it. Like all computer technology until Apple creates something then it doesn't really exist yet. Besides, why settle for something from one of the lesser evils?

Any bets as to how fast the pr0n industry adopts the iRing?

ib2007

Dec 7, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if the wristwatch will have a touch sensitive face (glass dial) that can double up as a track pad for or touch pad for the wearable glasses like a mouse so you can wear a personal computer on the go.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I remember when Microsoft used to be an innovation leader. They've been content to follow everyone else and copy them for the past decade. I think this is a huge mistake that is destined to become another Zune. Microsoft should focus on fixing some of their other products first, particularly Sync (you know, the thing that ruins all new Ford vehicles and makes Jeremy Clarkson yell at a car to shut up).

Just for fun, I'd like to see Apple or Google come up with a ridiculous product concept for something they know will fail and will never actually bring to market. Promise it, but don't bring it to market. I bet Microsoft will just duplicate it and rush it to market. They've been doing stupid stuff like that for a while now.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]I remember when Microsoft used to be an innovation leader. They've been content to follow everyone else and copy them for the past decade. I think this is a huge mistake that is destined to become another Zune. Microsoft should focus on fixing some of their other products first, particularly Sync (you know, the thing that ruins all new Ford vehicles and makes Jeremy Clarkson yell at a car to shut up).Just for fun, I'd like to see Apple or Google come up with a ridiculous product concept for something they know will fail and will never actually bring to market. Promise it, but don't bring it to market. I bet Microsoft will just duplicate it and rush it to market. They've been doing stupid stuff like that for a while now.[/citation]
My thoughts exactly. MS just wants to copy everything Google and Apple are doing, which is said because they can't really touch Google where it's good (and arguably vice versa), and they're taking the wrong lessons from Apple.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I like tech and all but I think this is getting out of hand. I am wondering what kind of physiologic affect all this tech will have on us in the next 50 years. Most people don't even know how to talk in person anymore. I remember playing lego and getting dirty outside. Never got my first gaming system till i was in my mid teens. I'm only 31 which is old these days in the tech world :p

senkyen

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I'm nearsighted so I need to wear my "normal" glasses all the time and therefore I won't be using smart glasses of any kind (and no, I don't like wearing contact lenses so that's not a solution for me).

Watches became pretty much obsolete when we got mobile phones and people still wear them pretty much for the same reason people wear jewelry (aka no practical reason whatsoever).

A ring that enhances the motion tracking capabilities of a "smart" TV... Only useful for the people that are too lazy to even reach for the remote.

All in all I guess I'll pass on this new great devices and instead spend my money on refreshing the components of my good old 100% not portable and not wearable desktop PC.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Ok Ballmer, listen carefully to me: now it is time to ditch Metro/WinRT/Store and bet the company on MSGlasses/WinGLASS/GLASSStore and its innovative user interface that will run decently on glasses devices and will badly s*uxx on every other device including the now obsolete PCs and tablets!
And please start talking of Metro and tablets in terms of "legacy" as soon as you can so users can get accustomed to the Next Big Thing!

randomizer

Champion

I wear my watch for a very practical reason: so I know the time. I got tired of pulling out my phone just to to check the clock.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Google, Microsoft and others are attempting to somehow tie this in to their services, but the only true, lasting effect of this technology will be the (gradual) elimination of fixed physical displays.[/citation]

Or No.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Google, Microsoft and others are attempting to somehow tie this in to their services, but the only true, lasting effect of this technology will be the (gradual) elimination of fixed physical displays.[/citation]

Or Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.