Hard drive constantly spins up and down.

nolob

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I have an external 1TB Maxtor Basics. Normally, if you power it on and do not plug it in to a computer, the drive will start up and then immediately spin down. It will also spin down when plugged in to a computer after a period of inactivity.

Today, whether it is plugged in or not to a computer, it immediately spins down, then immediately spins up, then down, then up, etc. and my computer acts as if nothing is plugged in. Nothing in Explorer or Device Manager. Is there anything I can try to get it to work or is it definitely gone? (Anything important is backed up)

ouch. it might be a couple of things, your drive is busted or the SATA bridge is busted. either way if it's not being seen as an USB drive, you have no luck but to try to remove the drive from the enclosure and install it in the motherboard to see if can be detected. if it is detected try to run a complete diagnostic on the drive. try this http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

nolob

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I only have access to a laptop. The Maxtor Basics is a 3.5" drive but could I take the 2.5" drive out of my laptop, stick it in the enclosure and see if a Linux LiveCD detects it, to see if it is a SATA problem?

TRENDING THREADS