Monitor stuck in black screen power save mode

Tags:
  • Green
  • Monitors
  • Power
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
April 7, 2013 9:08:29 AM

I was surfing the web on firefox when out of nowhere the monitor goes black "Entering power save mode". Then for a split second blue screened. I can't remember if I tried to reboot it or if it turned off on its own.

Now I will turn the computer on, and the power icon on the tower lights up green as normal; but the monitor power icon stays orange/amber, when it should turn green when turning on.

Usually I would try to fix this on my own by turning the computer on in safe mode or something, but the screen remains black.

I unplugged all of the wires from the tower, put them back and same result.
When I took the monitor cable from the tower, my monitor shows a box slowly moving around the screen. It says "2 : Digital Input, self test feature check" then red, green, blue, white coloured rectangles underneith, with the monitor power icon green. Maybe this narrows down what I need to do?

I have no idea where to go from here, so any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm on a Dell Dimension E520

More about : monitor stuck black screen power save mode

April 7, 2013 9:55:17 AM

sounds like a peice of hardware went bad. I would say start by pulling out all the RAM and testing them one at a time in slot 0. your computer is failing to POST properly have you heard any beeps at all?
m
l
April 7, 2013 10:52:34 AM

tripledouce said:
sounds like a peice of hardware went bad. I would say start by pulling out all the RAM and testing them one at a time in slot 0. your computer is failing to POST properly have you heard any beeps at all?

I just took out a RAM card, connected everything together and see if that would make a difference.
There was 2 or 3 beeps when I turned it on, but still nothing.
Gonna put the RAM back in now.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2013 7:30:50 PM

beep codes tell you what device is failing at POST. look up the beep code for your mother board on any search engine and you will know what you need to replace
m
l
September 15, 2014 12:29:17 PM

Here's what fixed mine. I changed the mouse still went to black. I changed the keyboard did not go into black Windows started up normally.
Terry
m
l