CPU + Motherboard help

AngelL10

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012
I'm making a new PC and I don't know which one of these should I buy. My budget is around 206 dollars and I have to get the CPU and the Motherboard.. what should I do? The GPU I'm buying is Geforce gtx 660 windforce.

AngelL10

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012

Most people are telling me to get Intel but I don't have the money..If I'd take an i5 I wouldn't have money for the motherboard and RAM. Anyway, I just found this offer ASUS M4A87TD EVO + Procesor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz skt AM3 box. It's second hand but they're saying that it's new and it's 182 dollars. It's 58 dollars less than buying from shops ( it's more expensive in my country ). What do you think?

mace200200

Honorable
The I5 is pretty much the standard gaming CPU, that many many people use. The newer AMD 8350's cost the same and are almost as good, which would be what you'd want to upgrade to if you ever choose to upgrade your CPU. That 965 is fine for most cards though, and you can always OC the crap out of it.

mace200200

Honorable
I like the EVO boards and looked long and hard into buying one myself. I'd think it'd probably be alright to buy it, CPU's and Motherboards either work, or they don't, so it's not likely you'll get it and it'll be half damaged and you won't notice right away.

AngelL10

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012

That wouldn't be a problem. I wasn't sure about the motherboard. Is it good? Will it hold me enough:)?+ I don't know if it will support my GPU ( GTX 660 windforce) I heared that it needs port-3.0.

mace200200

Honorable
You don't need PCI 3.0, any 3.0 card will work in any 2.0/2.1 slot. Like I said I almost bought one, but decided to stick with Gigabyte because that's what I've always used and the BIO's are the same I've always used.

Actually I didn't even notice at first but the ASUS board is only AM3 socket. Since it comes with an AM3 CPU it doesn't matter, unless, you want to upgrade at some point. Then you will need a new board.

AngelL10

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012

Alright then..I'll just wait 2 more days and if nothing new comes then i'll give you credit :p Thanks.