Can the human brain detect a difference between 60 and 70 FPS?

Setsukai

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
My PC runs my games pretty well out of the box (i7 @ 3.5GHz). I get 60 FPS in Planetside 2, which is what I wanted it to be able to do. So my question is this; should I even bother with overclocking? Is there even a noticeable difference between 60 and 70 FPS? Between 60 and 80 FPS?

Depends on how your brain processes the information to it via your eyes, and it varies from person to person.

I take a stab at saying that most people will not be able to tell the difference between 60FPS and 80FPS. Will you specifically be able to tell the difference? There's only one way to find out.....

If you have a normal 60Hz monitor then it can only display 60 anyway. There is much disagreement between people as to if you can tell the difference between different fps and also how evenly spaced the frames are makes a big difference.

My suggestion is that if you know of someone with a 120Hz monitor is to try out playing games on it; assuming the graphics card is powerful enough to push at least 80 - 90 FPS.

Don't bother with a 120Hz HDTV. Different technology altogether. Without going into the details, a 120Hz monitor accepts 120Hz input, a 120Hz HDTV only accepts 60Hz input while outputting at 120Hz using internal electronics to double the number of frames.

Can the eye pick up the individual 10 frames? Probably not.
Can the eye pick up the difference in smoothness between 60FPS and 70FPS? Yes.

Also, this all assumes a moniter capable of displaying the extra 10 frames.

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I bet if a blind study were performed, one system running a game at a near constant 60 fps and another running at a near constant 70 fps, the results would be similar to flipping a coin and calling it correctly.

In general, I don't think many people could blindly tell you which pc was running at 70 frames with any statistical relevance.