Installing windows 7 from HDD to SSD

So I've looked into a few different ways of doing this, including transfering the whole OS accross to the SSD and fiddling with a few bits but I don't fancy doing that, also I don't have all that much data on my computer yet as its only 3 weeks old.

So what I want to know is how should I go about it?
Should I just install my windows 7 onto the new SSD (whilst having my HDD) unplugged then contact Microsoft for product key if asked for it?

Or is there another way I should do it?
I've looked through this thread (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274859-32-uninstall-windows-files) but its a couple of years old now so wanted a bit more recent info if its changed at all.

I have a 2tb HDD and have ordered a 240gb SSD, I currently only have 1 game and maybe a 200Gb of films and data, I also have external storage so what I was thinking of doing is this, any ideas on what to change or how you would do it please let me know.

First unplug my HDD then plug my SSD in, install windows 7 onto my SSD.
Once it's all set up, plug my HDD in making sure my computer boots from the SSD.
Transfer all data to external drive (could possibly do this before I install windows 7 onto SSD but I only have a 250gb external storage so ill have to see how much data I currently have on the HDD) except data that I want on my SSD like my game.
Once everything is copied from HDD how can I get rid of the partition with windows 7 installed on it? Do I have to reformat the whole drive?
Will that even clear the partition?

Is there a way to delete the partition with all of the windows 7 data whilst keeping all my other files on my HDD so it would save me copying everything?

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Jason
5 answers Last reply
More about installing windows hdd ssd
  1. If you don't have a recent backup of your data start by making one.
    Then install the SSD as you've described and when you boot up with both drive installed you can navigate to the HDD and simply delete the folders you no longer need - such as windows, program files, progam files x86. I would rename the hdd folder named USERS for now. You can tell windows to move the one on the ssd to the hdd and then copy the contents of the renamed one back in. Thats usually where your data is stored. then you can delete the renamed folder when its all copied over safely.

From then on you will need to choose where games/apps/programs install to (hdd or ssd) so your ssd doesnt get too full too fast.
  2. popatim said:
    If you don't have a recent backup of your data start by making one.
    Then install the SSD as you've described and when you boot up with both drive installed you can navigate to the HDD and simply delete the folders you no longer need - such as windows, program files, progam files x86. I would rename the hdd folder named USERS for now. You can tell windows to move the one on the ssd to the hdd and then copy the contents of the renamed one back in. Thats usually where your data is stored. then you can delete the renamed folder when its all copied over safely.

From then on you will need to choose where games/apps/programs install to (hdd or ssd) so your ssd doesnt get too full too fast.

Thanks for the quick reply, just to make sure I've got what your saying.

Your saying I should install windows on the SSD (HDD unplugged) ignore the enter product key thing I presume as when I plug the HDD back in and transfer windows default location that won't be necessary (hopefully)
    Are you then saying I then should copy the HDD windows files into the SSD's windows file?
    After that I can then delete the windows and other data I do not want off of the HDD?
    Will that get rid of the partition? As I'm losing HDD space by keeping the windows partition on a drive I don't want to house windows if that makes sense?
    Cheers for the link also
  3. install the ssd and disconnect the hdd
    Install windows to the ssd, drivers, and updates. as you would for any normal windows install.
    power down. connect the hdd.
    boot up into the bios and make sure its set to boot the ssd.
    Once booted up use file explore and navigate to the hdd and then delete the old windows, programs, and programs (x86) folders
    rename the hdd USERS folder to OLDUSERS
    follow the procedure linked above to move the current USERS folder to the hdd.
    Now use file explorer and navigate to your oldusers folder and copy your data to the new USERS folder.

Most of your data will be in the sub-folder that has your user name on it. Mostly under My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos I imagine. You can select the folders and rt click and select copy and then go back to the users folder and paste them into your username folder. (copy - not cut or move)
    I would not delete OLDUSERS until you are sure you have everything you need from it. Often theres things like old emails and game saves in hidden folders that you can still recover too.

I hope thats a bit more clear.
  4. popatim said:
    install the ssd and disconnect the hdd
    Install windows to the ssd, drivers, and updates. as you would for any normal windows install.
    power down. connect the hdd.
    boot up into the bios and make sure its set to boot the ssd.
    Once booted up use file explore and navigate to the hdd and then delete the old windows, programs, and programs (x86) folders
    rename the hdd USERS folder to OLDUSERS
    follow the procedure linked above to move the current USERS folder to the hdd.
    Now use file explorer and navigate to your oldusers folder and copy your data to the new USERS folder.

Most of your data will be in the sub-folder that has your user name on it. Mostly under My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos I imagine. You can select the folders and rt click and select copy and then go back to the users folder and paste them into your username folder. (copy - not cut or move)
    I would not delete OLDUSERS until you are sure you have everything you need from it. Often theres things like old emails and game saves in hidden folders that you can still recover too.

I hope thats a bit more clear.

That's brilliant thanks mate, just a couple more question (I hope these are the last ones :-) )
    When I do the HDD backup onto my external drive once I've deleted all the program files, x86 program files, windows files then change name of HDD USER file to OLDUSER copy that to new SSD USER location and then delete OLDUSER from HDD?
    I shouldn't lose much game data as its Eve online I play so it doesn't 'save' so that shouldn't be a problem, worst comes to worst ill just install it manually onto my SSD.
    My other question is once installing windows onto my SSD if my product key is excepted (is it even worth trying?) is it still worth me copying my HDD USER files as its only 3 weeks old anyway?

Thanks for all your help.
    Jason
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Hard Drives SSD Storage