• Fedora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • openSUSE

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

shyam101

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Ive gotten my choices down to 4 but just cant choose? Thought Id ask people what they like personally from the 4...Manjaro Linux, Elementry OS(when luna comes out that is), Fedora 18, openSUSE

Being built from Arch, manjaro would be my preference from the 4... but its rolling release nature requires you to have more knowledge of the system internals than most other linux distro's

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
My Linux experience is Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and CentOS (with a dash of Trinity Rescue Kit, DEFT, and Clonezilla). So even though I can't speak to 3 of your options; Fedora does seam like a good distribution.

If what your doing is just general use I would recommend Ubuntu though. I personally don't like the Unity UI it comes stock with so I use the Cinnamon UI with Ubuntu 12.04. I don't plan on upgrading my Ubuntu until 14.04 comes out as they are the Long Term Support releases.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
It depends on why you want to install Linux in the first place. If you are wanting a Linux distro that will help you build skills for professional / enterprise use, I would look to...

#1. CentOS, Scientific Linux etc... One of the RHEL recompile distributions. Far from bleeding edge, but what you will find in large / enterprise installations all over.

#2. OpenSuSe. The 2nd most popular enterprise distribution is SuSe, OpenSuSe is as close as you are going to get without a big support contract fee...

#3. Ubuntu. Being the newest kid on the enterprise block, Ubuntu is worth having skills in... They are getting a lot of traction, and are coming up with enterprise grade offerings that are starting to look very promising for the future of this distro. Combined with their work in the entire IT stack from mobile devices, and SmartTV distributions, to desktops, all the way up to servers, Ubuntu has made huge strides in usability and is making a lot of friends in IT management...

If you are just wanting to toy with bleeding edge software, then I would probably go with Fedora...

kamikaze1993

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
It depends what you want to do with your system? If you just want to try a linux distro, is also possible to install in Vmware.
I've tried forinstence Ubuntu,slackware and Manjaro(which are based on arch). I would recommend Ubuntu.