Does this build make sense?

DirtyPyjamas

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hey guys, total noob to computers, but I've decided to make the switch from ps3 to pc. So supposedly you can get such a better deal building one yourself, so i've assembled a couple parts. What I want to know from you guys:

-if these parts will fit together (compatible?)
-am I missing anything critical/a good case
-any input you'd have on my design

this computer will only be used for gaming, my budget is between 1500 and 2000, I am interested in overclocking, but only in the future.

design:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($53.79 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($425.91 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($11.92 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1375.52

remember assume i know nothing!
and thanks

^ Not if you don't want to spend the extra $50 for 8GB of RAM you dont need.

Your actually fairly close to what I would recommend with that rig, just a few changes I would make.

- If all your doing is gaming, then an i5-3570k is all you need. The i7's extra threads (kind of like, streams of resources is the best I can describe it) aren't useful in most gaming scenarios.
- The mobo is overkill for what your after, but it does look awesome and I'm good with purchases based on aesthetics. If you do want to downgrade, an AsRock Z77 Extreme4 or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H are both good options.
- The Samsung 840 Pro is a better SSD and is available for less.
- Would upgrade the Caviar Blue to a Black drive, or a Seagate Barracuda.
- If that is the Vapor-X card, just be aware that you will be limited later on with CRossfire options. The card takes up 2.5 slots instead of the advertised two.
- Go with a Corsair, XFX or Seasonic unit for the PSU. If Crossfire is a possibility later on, get a 750W supply.

The case if fine for the rig as is, but you may run into airflow issues in a Crossfire setup and be limited if you ever wanted to water-cool lets say (Dont scoff, I got hooked to water-cooling within 3 months of my first build).

Akashdeep

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Mate, when his budget is $1375.52, I don't think an extra of $50 will be a big deal for some better performance. Where I am wrong!

More memory does not lead to better performance, unless your upgrading from a situation where you have insufficient memory for what you want. 8GB is plenty of RAM for a gaming build, arguably you could get away with 4GB as most games are designed with a worst case scenario of a 32bit OS in mind.