HP P2 1013w Memory Compatibilty questions

Jason08ss

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Yes, it's horrible. Got it for $100, monitor, speakers, tower, kb, and mouse. Please don't laugh at me. Specs: AMD E450 Brazos, 3gb ram, 500gb HDD. My lovely little netbook in a tower's body.

Now....Hewlett Packard's tech documents on the motherboard show DDR3 6400 and 8500 as being supported. Went looking for memory, research led to Crucial as being the best spot to ensure compatibility. However, Crucial suggested this:

16GB kit (8GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module

Now, I know about 32-bit OS's not being able to address a full 4gb of ram. That's cool, because I'm running Win 7 64-bit Home Premium, so it isn't the amount of memory that gives me pause. My question is, will Crucial's suggested memory work for me? Can you even put higher..speed(?)...memory in a lower rated slot?
Running Diablo 3 (low settings, of course), average between 30 and 40 fps, but dips significantly when a ton of stuff is going on. Given the integrated graphics, would more memory fix this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Edward Gelernt

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
It's possible, but it's usually the best idea to go with something that your motherboard expressly states as compatible. Try and find the same type of memory for an upgrade.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Geh, if it's DDR3 away you go as far as I'm concerned. Generally speaking if it has to run it slower it will, or you can select it. Also just because that's the speed they say it can do doesn't always make it so. And yeah, with integrated graphics faster ram will help speed it up; more in general may also help.

The entire point of that section of crucial's site is to pick something that should work, and I'm pretty sure they will help you with tech support if something goes wrong with their suggestion. They generally charge a bit more than you could get if you just looked for any random set on the web but at the same time they charge much less than the OEM would for official replacements, assuming they still do that.