Intel Confirms, Fixes Haswell's USB 3.0 S3 Sleep Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]rgd1101[/nom]It that mean we don't have to worry about getting C1.[/citation]

Learn proper English please or do a grammar check.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I thought this was a problem with the cipsets and not the processors themselves. This article makes it sound like the C2 stepping is being applied to the processors, then in the next sentence the cipsets are actually receiving the revision.

[citation][nom]rgd1101[/nom]It that mean we don't have to worry about getting C1.[/citation]
I assume it means that we shouldn't have to worry about getting any C1 stepping. Though I am not entirely sure, perhaps they will just tack on a "C1" at the end of the model number for a while (until they are out of c1 stock)
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Learn proper English please or do a grammar check.[/citation]
Thats not right, don't go after a good guy like rgd, hes asking a question and its easily discernible as to what he means. I see him helping out people on the forums a lot. Good guy.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Kudos to Intel for admitting an issue, correcting it and insuring the version with the issue does not hit any customers. A lot of companies would have handled an issue like that poorly.

bugster9

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Reminds of the serial comm port bugaboo when the P5-60 was released. Never forget the day that behemoth from Gateway showed up and the system froze the minute I eagerly awaited the modem negotiation with Compuserve. Guess I'm showing my age but at least this time they caught it before it shipped.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]I thought this was a problem with the cipsets and not the processors themselves. This article makes it sound like the C2 stepping is being applied to the processors, then in the next sentence the cipsets are actually receiving the revision.[/citation]
It is a chipset issue. Haswell is more well known as a name and since it requires a new chipset it's bundled together. This statement is all you need:
"To resolve this issue, Intel has now issued an official Product Change Notification (PCN) that alters the chipset stepping from C1 to C2, a hardware fix that is expected to affect the delivery dates of a fairly wide range of products."

rgd1101

Don't
from the PCN pdf.

Customers should be ready to receive a combination of C1 stepping material and C2
stepping material by the "Date Customer Must be Ready to Receive Post-Conversion
Material" as shown in the milestones above.

rgd1101

Don't
more from the PCN pdf

The date of "First Availability of Post-Conversion Material" is the projected date that a customer may
expect to receive the new Materials. This date is determined by the projected depletion of inventory at the
time of the PCN publication. The depletion of inventory may be impacted by fluctuating supply and
demand, therefore, although customers should be prepared to receive the Post-Converted Materials on this
date, Intel will continue to ship and customers may continue to receive the pre-converted materials until the
inventory has been depleted.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]It is a chipset issue. Haswell is more well known as a name and since it requires a new chipset it's bundled together. This statement is all you need:"To resolve this issue, Intel has now issued an official Product Change Notification (PCN) that alters the chipset stepping from C1 to C2, a hardware fix that is expected to affect the delivery dates of a fairly wide range of products."[/citation]
Looks like the author updated the wording in the article without informing anyone, but I guess that's to be expected here. When I originally posted, that first sentence you quoted referred to the C2 stepping as a processor revision, but the following sentence suggested that it was a chipset revision.

Well, at least we got an update. Can't say the same for most of the poorly worded news articles on Tom's.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]computerguy72[/nom]Kudos to Intel for admitting an issue, correcting it and insuring the version with the issue does not hit any customers. A lot of companies would have handled an issue like that poorly.[/citation]

Look at their SB B2 stepping product recall. That was only on SATA3 and would have effected a small group that thrash the bus. Cost them a lot but they recalled it all.

lp231

Splendid
The statement from Intel sounds like we'll still get revision C1 as motherboard makers already have them, they're just waiting for the official launch date. IMO revision C2 will not be available for some time until most of the C1 board are sold.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Learn proper English please or do a grammar check.[/citation]
Learn proper English please, or do a grammar check.*
Fixed. Don't be a tool. :)

rgd1101

Don't

Yep, the pdf said
Date of First Availability of Post-Conversion Material July 15, 2013

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]computerguy72[/nom]Kudos to Intel for admitting an issue, correcting it and insuring the version with the issue does not hit any customers. A lot of companies would have handled an issue like that poorly.[/citation]Incorrect. C1 is already shipped. Whoops. :p[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]I assume it means that we shouldn't have to worry about getting any C1 stepping.[/citation]Well, that's what you get for assuming. ;)

See rgd1101's posts above regarding the PCN documention for more info.

jay1000

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Hopefully Intel will do the right thing and offer a discount on the faulty processors. That would shift them on quickly.

rgd1101

Don't

is not the processor, is the chipset, and they have a workaround/software fixes in place.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rgd1101[/nom]is not the processor, is the chipset, and they have a workaround/software fixes in place.[/citation]
their chipset sux all the time, miss the day where we can get via chipset or nvidia chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS