Best Component to increase Performance?

Chris Bender

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I am looking to increase my performance due to having trouble running the new World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria on any setting other than low.
According to the graphics forums here my graphics card should still be able to handle this game. Computer generally runs smooth for all other tasks. I thought perhaps another component is slowing things down and could get some insight from the community here. All suggestions are welcome...thank you.

My current computer specs are;

Manufacturer was Alienware x58 Purchased in 2009.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor- 1:

CPU_Name- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
CPU_Manufacturer- GenuineIntel
CPU_Caption- Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
CPU_Version- Model 10, Stepping 5
CPU_ProcessorId- BFEBFBFF000106A5
CPU_CurrentClockSpeed- 2668MHz
CPU_AddressWidth- 64Bits
CPU_DataWidth- 64Bits
CPU_SocketDesignation- LGA1366

RAM:

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 24GB
Currently Installed Memory: 12GB
Total Memory Slots: 6
Available Memory Slots: 3

Mobo:

MB_Manufacturer- ASUSTeK Computer INC.
MB_Product- P6T DELUXE V2
MB_SerialNumber- MB-1234567890
MB_Version- Rev 1.xx

Video Card:

Video_Caption- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
Video_AdapterRAM- 896MB
Video_DriverVersion- 7.15.11.8120

Hard Drive:

ST3500620AS ATA Device
Disk_Model- ST3500620AS ATA Device
Disk_Size- 500GB
Disk_TotalHeads- 255
Disk_TotalCylinders- 60801
Disk_TotalTracks- 15504255
Disk_TracksPerCylinder- 255

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
A new GPU would make the most improvement in your gaming. While your present card is capable it is far from optimal. I'd get a GTX 670 or 660 ti or an AMD 7950. You should then be able to run on higher settings.

If it's just the one game, the question resolves itself: Obviously it's something with Mists of Pandaria.
From the sound of it the game is not using both chips of the GTX295.
You know what I', going to say next, do n't you ;) ?
Check the ingame options and ensure multi GPU rendering is active (it may not exist, I never could get on with WoW). Check for patches/updates that will allow SLI rendering.
Check Nvidia to see if there is an updated driver or SLI profile for this game.
Depending on monitor resolution, you may simply be running out of video RAM but I do n't think that is likely, but you should disable AA, if you've not already done so.
Lighthearted comments aside, there's nothing too shabby about that rig, but if I were to make a recommendation it would be to get a more up-to-date video card, particularly if you're gaming at 1080 rez.

Chris Bender

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
So, I am still running this rig as listed above and I'm finally ready to upgrade the graphics.
According the hierarchy chart on this site in order to see a performance difference I should get something 3 tiers above my 295.
Considering price...I like the GTX 770 but I am open to expert opinions.

Will a GTX 770 work with my mobo?

Any recommendations on which GTX 770 to get?

Do these two look decent? And are they the same card? I have amazon prime so if it is the same card then I should order from them.

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&msg_id=2641643&threadid=2641643&forum=101&product_id=84874&msgcount=4&overclockid=0#msg2641643

http://www.amazon.com/GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5-GeForce-256-bit-PCI-Express-OC-selected/dp/B00D3F7CFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395531452&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+GeForce+GTX+770

Additional spec info not listed above: 1200w power supply.

Welcome back from the grave. ;)
Yes the GTX770 should work perfectly well with your current motherbaord/system. If you do have any problems, and they are rare, check the motherboard makers site and update the BIOS to the latest version before tearing your hair out.
Yes, they are the same card.
Like my i5 750, your i7 will respond well to a better cooler and some 'gentle' overclocking, so I'll additionally suggest you look into doing so. Trust me, in some current titles it makes a useful difference.

Chris Bender

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Add a cooler to my processor? That sounds a little out of my league.

Also, is it relatively easy to install a new graphics card?

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
You could add a cooler, or not. If you overclock then you'll definitely need one. At stock clocks the i7-920 isn't a slow CPU. You will get the biggest performance boost in gaming by upgrading the GPU for sure. You shouldn't run into bottlenecking problems, but if you do, it could be advantageous to overclock. It's really easy to install a new graphics card. Take out the old one (first turn your PC off, turn it off at the power supply for good measure too). The GTX770 has roughly the same footprint as the GTX295 (a good "old" card by the way) so you shouldn't have any clearance issues. Insert the new card into the PCI-e x16 slot (where you took the old card from), secure the backplate to the case, plug in the PCI-e power plugs, and fire it up. Your screen might look dodgy and blocky but that's because you need to install the drivers for the card. Download them from the card makers' website. You can use the included disks, but they might be outdated. You want the newer ones.

One thing that makes a big difference to adding a cooler is case design, pop off the right hand side panel (viewed from the front) and look inside, there's a metal panel that supports the motherboard if you can see an opening in this panel that reveals the CPU socket the job will be fairly easy, if the panel is solid metal, I'll advise against you proceeding because to install a good cooler the motherboard will have to be removed first.
There is also plenty of video tutorials on Youtube on how to install a video card, the only tool you may need is a Phillips screwdriver-some cases are 'tool free' so you may not need even the screwdriver.

Generally the procedure is:
Before installing the new card, download and save the latest WHQL drivers directly from the AMD/Nvidia website. Check the motherboard manual-if you've lost it look up the online manual from the manufacturers website-and see how the video card is held in, there's a small catch or locking latch on the PCI-E slot itself and they vary in design.
It will require a little force to seat the new card fully, you might find it easier to fully disconnect the system and lay it on its side before working.

Shut down the system ,remove the power lead, disconnect the video lead and remove the left hand side panel.
Inside, disconnect the PCI-E power leads from the video card and move them aside, they are locked into place by catches on the plugs, these catches need to be squeezed in order to release the plugs.
Remove the retaining screw/unlock the latch holding the card to the backplate and, while releasing the locking latch on the PCI-E slot remove the card.

When installing the new card:
Be careful of the prongs on the card backplate, they slot in between the rear of the case and the motherboard, align the card with the open slot/s and slide it inwards, aiming for the PCI-E slot while keeping the backplate in contact with the rear of the case.
With the card fully seated, lock it in place with the screw/latch, connect the PCI-E power leads and reconnect the external leads.
Boot the system.
It'll take a little longer than usual to boot and the display may be at the wrong resolution-this is normal.
Uninstall the previous video drivers and restart.
Install the drivers your saved earlier and restart.
You may need to reset the display properties, do so and restart again.
Done.