Tigerdirect Barebones - Gaming

Bennie Tiller

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I plan to purchase a bare bones kit + a graphics card. I am trying to figure out which amd barebones kit, in the 200-350 range, has the best gaming specs in terms of processor. I don't have much knowledge of amd processors. I am aiming for the lowest kit with a decent processor for gaming. Ignore the onboard graphics since I'll be buying a separate graphics card.

EDIT: I looked at the I3 kits and they aren't that expensive, so if one of the I3 kits works better then I'd be okay with a recommendation of one of them. The I5 kits are all too expensive though.

This will take you directly to what im looking at: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31&name=Barebone-Kits&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computers-_-Spot%2005

8350rocks

Distinguished
Can't pull up tigerdirect from work, but I would not recommend an i3 to anyone building a gaming rig. Period.

For the same/similar money, go with an FX6300 or FX8320 bundle of some kind. Make sure the mobo is a 970 or 990 chipset. Asrock usually has the extreme3 series of those 2 for sale for VERY reasonable rates. I know on newegg.com you can get a FX6300 + asrock 970 extreme3 together for about $205, if you're willing to go more another ~$50 would get you the FX8320 with the same board. THAT would be a monster gaming rig! FX8350 + Asrock 970 extreme3 would run you into the range of about $275...and that would be all the AMD horsepower you could get.

If you're looking for something more completely kitted out...like case/psu etc...let me know and I will put together a build and you can see what most closely matches it on tigerdirect.com

Bennie Tiller

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
The only 8320 kit is $440. That is a little out of my range since I'd have to add a graphics card to that, which would put it over 500 after taxes and shipping. I don't see a 6300, but I do see a 6100. Though I think the 6100 is pretty weak right? If you'd be interested in putting together a full build that is $350 max I'd appreciate it.(I can work up to 400-450 but $450-500 including tax and shipping final cost is the absolute ceiling)

One more question. In terms of bench marking, everything I can find says that the following barebones kit should out perform all but the most expensive fx processors.(im just gonna post the specs since you can't get to the website from work.)
Asus F2A85-M/CSM Motherboard, AMD Quad-Core A8-5600K 3.6GHz Radeon HD7560D APU, 2x Kingston HyperX Red 4GB Memory Module, Kingwin 650W Power Supply, Thermaltake Versa II USB3.0 Case, & case Fan bundle. Any thoughts?

8350rocks

Distinguished

That's not bad, I can work something up for you that will have onboard graphics and you can add a discrete GPU later when you have an extra $100-150 laying around.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Px7C

Check that out, the website tells you where to get it cheapest and what the shipping costs are.

It's $478 with windows 8...if you can find windows 7 cheaper go that route...but the build itself without windows is $379

Bennie Tiller

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

That looks good since I don't need the windows.

The only question remaining is AMD A10-5800K vs 8350. Seems like they are pretty similar in terms of power but the A10 brings a semi decent intergrated card but higher power consumption. From what I can tell from research the A10 is generally faster in terms of pure computing power, but the 8350 will handle game better because games usually only use 2 cores at the most.

Is it possible to put together a build similar or cheaper in pricing using the 8350? Probably not since the 8350 seems to be a lot more expensive than the A10 and you have to buy a graphics card along with it.

EDIT: You know, it ends up cheaper for me to edit what you have here over to amazon as the merchant. I live in Florida. Newegg charges tax to Florida while Amazon does not. Given Amazon not charging tax, I save a fair bit of money with your build over the barebones kit from newegg.

Bennie Tiller

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

What about a slightly less expensive/powerful graphics card(like 7750 or even something in the higher end of the 6000 series if the price difference between 7750 and 7777 isn't significantly), 500 gb hard drive, and 4gigs of memory. Would that get is down near the 450 range or below?

8350rocks

Distinguished

It would probably get you around $500.00 because the bargains I found were so good, that a downgrade isn't a huge difference.