Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gigabyte Fits a GTX Titan With WindForce 3X Cooler

Last response: in News comments
April 8, 2013 1:05:57 PM

This thing looks cheap.. IMHO the original cooler makes the product look much more premium.
Score
April 8, 2013 1:09:44 PM

If you really wanted to push your titan as much as possible on a more long-term basis, you'd use water-cooling. I know some people are scared off by the concept so I guess this could appeal to them, but this is probably targeting a very niche market(even smaller than titan's target market).
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2013 1:14:21 PM

athulajpIf you really wanted to push your titan as much as possible on a more long-term basis, you'd use water-cooling..

You would be using liquid helium.
Score
April 8, 2013 1:26:19 PM

looks longer.
Score
April 8, 2013 1:32:58 PM

slomo4shoYou would be using liquid helium.

I said long term, unless you're willing to shell out for a chiller and the power it takes to run one, liquid helium won't work long term.
Score
a c 605 U Graphics card
April 8, 2013 1:35:20 PM

I thought they were going to say that the card would cost less due to all the custom materials used in the reference cooler.
Score
April 8, 2013 1:46:44 PM

Just a head's up - it says MSI's GeForce GTX Titan in the subtitle! (should be Gigabyte) :) 
Score
April 8, 2013 1:51:36 PM

I dunno, the stock titan looks great and doesn't seem all that loud from the vids. I don't get this one...at least when they did it with the 680s it was because it was a bit loud.
Score
April 8, 2013 1:59:07 PM

royalcrownI dunno, the stock titan looks great and doesn't seem all that loud from the vids. I don't get this one...at least when they did it with the 680s it was because it was a bit loud.

I was about to say haha.
Score
April 8, 2013 3:14:13 PM

royalcrownI dunno, the stock titan looks great and doesn't seem all that loud from the vids. I don't get this one...at least when they did it with the 680s it was because it was a bit loud.

Seem's like articles here are full of this stuff lately...
Score
April 8, 2013 3:25:40 PM

I've had 2 windforce cards in the past, gtx 470's to be exact. They are junk. Blades are flimsy and do break, the whole card flexes. If you run them in sli right next to each other the blades make noise due to turbulence and the cards get HOT! This is also when the blades tend to break. Current high end motherboards have the slots separate but not all mobos do. They run fairly cool and quiet separated or single gpu rigs. Not a quality build scheme though.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2013 3:57:29 PM

athulajpI said long term, unless you're willing to shell out for a chiller and the power it takes to run one, liquid helium won't work long term.

Considering the rate at which the water cooler can decapitate heat is still dependents on the size of the radiators and the the air flow provided by the fans, the lower temperatures realized is simply due to the higher heat capacity of water. The required amount of energy to raise a water cooling unit is much greater than that of a standard air cooler.

The rate of heat transfer in the water cooler still relies on the the same variables as the air cooler: difference between ambient temperature and surface temperature (delta T), surface area, and the heat transfer coefficient. A water cooler has the capacity to increase the surface area and the delta T(through increased air flow or simply, due to having greater heat capacity, having a lower temperature at the radiator). The heat transfer coefficient should be equivalent assuming that the air cooler heat sink and the radiator are constructed of the same material.

However, if you truly want increase the heat transfer rate, it would be better to submerse the radiator in a pool of water(with a current) than simply attaching a fan to transfer the heat to the atmosphere.
Score
April 8, 2013 4:04:45 PM

They should have gone with the brushed aluminum shroud they had way back.
Score
April 8, 2013 4:49:43 PM

Why even bother with a custom cooler like that? ppl who shelf out that amount of money will proabbly also go for water cooled solution for the card.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2013 4:49:43 PM

I so love clicking an image link twice to see it in the exact same resolution as the thumbnail... said nobody ever.
Score
April 8, 2013 5:03:19 PM

MSI's GeForce GTX Titan is fitted with the company's Windforce 3X Cooler. MSI lolwut???
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2013 5:04:52 PM

someone needs to slap a titan with a much better cooler and pcb together. then it would be worth it
Score
April 8, 2013 5:09:01 PM

slomo4sho said:
athulajpI said long term, unless you're willing to shell out for a chiller and the power it takes to run one, liquid helium won't work long term.

Considering the rate at which the water cooler can decapitate heat is still dependents on the size of the radiators and the the air flow provided by the fans, the lower temperatures realized is simply due to the higher heat capacity of water. The required amount of energy to raise a water cooling unit is much greater than that of a standard air cooler.

The rate of heat transfer in the water cooler still relies on the the same variables as the air cooler: difference between ambient temperature and surface temperature (delta T), surface area, and the heat transfer coefficient. A water cooler has the capacity to increase the surface area and the delta T(through increased air flow or simply, due to having greater heat capacity, having a lower temperature at the radiator). The heat transfer coefficient should be equivalent assuming that the air cooler heat sink and the radiator are constructed of the same material.

However, if you truly want increase the heat transfer rate, it would be better to submerse the radiator in a pool of water(with a current) than simply attaching a fan to transfer the heat to the atmosphere.

TheBigTroll said:
someone needs to slap a titan with a much better cooler and pcb together. then it would be worth it

I am under the impression that the stock cooler is good. If asus did like the did with their DC2 coolers the titan would take up FOUR SLOTS and have dual 140s...lol
Score
April 8, 2013 5:36:27 PM

Quote:
This thing looks cheap.. IMHO the original cooler makes the product look much more premium.

I agree with you but as long as it performs better then that all that really matters.
Score
a c 605 U Graphics card
April 8, 2013 5:39:13 PM

This is just the beginning of custom Titan's and Titan LE's we are going to see in the coming months. If only one or two would be affordable, then I could get excited. When's that GTX 780 coming out again?
Score
April 9, 2013 1:00:32 AM

Quote:
Gigabyte Fits a GTX Titan With WindForce 3X Cooler

Quote:
MSI's GeForce GTX Titan is fitted with the company's Windforce 3X Cooler.

So....how much did MSI paid Gigabyte? :p 
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2013 8:44:47 AM

WindForce?! Who are they targeting, 12 year olds? They might as well just name it Power Ranger edition.

Score
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2013 8:59:12 AM

lp231WindForce?! Who are they targeting, 12 year olds? They might as well just name it Power Ranger edition.

oh so FTW or classified sounds so much better
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2013 9:23:56 AM

TheBigTrolloh so FTW or classified sounds so much better

No FTW and others more idiotic. This is why I don't buy Geforce or AMD card with those stupid names.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2013 10:13:41 AM

so xfx xxx DD is a lot nicer?
Score
!