What 3D monitor to buy?

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Well i'm completely undecided, i have been looking at these monitors for the past month, i cant bear it any more, someone please tell me what is the best, i don't think i can take it any longer, i will be using it for gaming mainly
(i have a Gigabyte SOC 680):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014288

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236206

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236293
(with these two i know i will have to buy a 3d 2 kit)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

I would like to know what has the best Color and the best Performence
Thanks

Solution

Of course! That's what we're here for.

The other option to look at would be iiyama monitors, which are just bloody things of beauty, and have even better picture quality than that BenQ, but they're bloody expensive, and the BenQ is going to be slightly better for gaming than even one of the 120Hz iiyamas... even if it won't look quite as good while you're doing it.
Buy a BenQ XL2420T and an nvidia 3d 2 kit.

That monitor is by FAR the best 120Hz monitor out there, aside from select $600+ imports, has amazing clarity and color options, and a few features that sound like gimmicks but actually help your game a surprising amount.

The reason I recommend it over the -TX model which comes with a 3d kit already is that the emitter on the -TX model is of slightly worse quality than the one that comes with the actual kit, and since the price is roughly the same...

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

JW but every thing else on the two models are the same? and by worse what do you mean, like you cant see?

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
And if you dont mind me asking what was the reason you picked this monitor over the other ones, is a 120hz better than 144hz or faster, and does this monitor have better picture?

That is correct - they have exactly the same components, save for the IR emitter. When I say worse, the built-in one had size and power constraints, so it doesn't work as at long a range, and the separate model tends to be slightly brighter. (You'll find this an issue with most monitors with built-in emitters.)

The picture quality on the BenQ is bloody amazing - it's far better than anything but the $600 overclocked IPS panels from Korea. (Well, and iiyamas, but they're also prohibitively expensive.)

Personally, I see the extra 24 fps as something of a gimmick - it's 20% "faster", but it's not enough to really make a difference when you're gaming, especially not when gaming in 3d.

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Sweet i cant wait to order it, so get the T model with the 3D vision 2 kit. Oh and where can you get one of though's IPS panels and are they 3D? :D

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Oh and i had one more question, some monitors have a contrast ratio of for instance 12m:1 (XL2420T) and some have a crazy high one like 80,000,000:1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313). Does that mean anything?

BwwwJ1st

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
I have had my ASUS VG248QE for a week now. The color out of the box is awful. After using the ICC profile from PCmonitor.info, colors are good and gaming is awesome. I'm not sure if there is much difference between 144 Hz and 120Hz.

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

i think i am going to buy the BenQ because the feature and DarkSable said that the color was better than the rest, but thank you for the advise:)

As for the IPS panels, they're very, VERY hard to find. Your best option is to look for a 'pixel perfect' (that's important) Catleap for sale on ebay or overclockers.net - again, they're extremely rare now, and I don't believe any but the newest ones support 3d. They were pretty much the gamer's freaking dream back in the day, though. (You know, the perfect THING that you were always hunting for? Now the perfect monitor to chase would probably be a 120Hz OLED panel - cept they don't exist yet.)

The contrast ratio is part of how you can tell the color quality of a monitor. However, just like, say, the clock speed of a CPU, it doesn't really mean all that much taken out of context - reviews are very helpful there.

Final note, as for that BenQ, make sure you do two things to take advantage of your $400.

1) Make use of the little switch that comes with it to switch between profiles. I'd have one for general use (i.e. perfect color), one for 3d gaming, with increased brightness, and one for competitive gaming, with maxed contrast and "Black eQualizer," which is actually an INCREDIBLY helpful little trick.

2) Make sure you read up on all the features of the monitor. It has some which might seem gimmicky, but honestly...
Well, just look at the black equalizer - it seems like nothing, but when you turn it up and play most shooters, it feels like you're cheating.

IMASHERIFF

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Haha sweet i will definitely look in to them, and thanks again everything was so help full

Thanks

Of course! That's what we're here for.

The other option to look at would be iiyama monitors, which are just bloody things of beauty, and have even better picture quality than that BenQ, but they're bloody expensive, and the BenQ is going to be slightly better for gaming than even one of the 120Hz iiyamas... even if it won't look quite as good while you're doing it.

Solution