i need help building a computer

thekoala

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I've never build a computer and i'm not to sure where to start. I mostly want to build one for gaming and use it to play league of legends. My budget is around $800. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

swilczak

Distinguished
If you've never built a computer and if you don't know much about computers, it might be better if you pay someone to build one for you, or you can buy a pre-built gaming machine on ebay or newegg at a good price. $800 will get you a pretty good machine, not including the monitor.

rockadrock1

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
If you weren't planning on overclocking an i5-3470 would be fine.($200)
ASRock Z75 Pro3 for motherboard.($85)
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600.($62)
Zotac GTX 650 Ti BOOST.($170)
ENERMAX NAXN ENP450AST.($45)
You probably will never need a disc drive but if you do they're like $20

$218 leftover for a case and hardrive(Maybe even an ssd). If you are planning on playing any other games, get a better video card(like a 660 ti or 7870). Even the system listed above is probably overkill for LoL. Newegg has an excellent guide on how to build a computer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw . It's actually not hard at all, it's like Legos for adults.

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I agree with rockadrock1, don't be intimidated by building your first PC, it's really quite easy. Just watch out for static electricity.
I also think rockadrock1's parts suggestion was right on the money, the only thing i would look at changing is the video card. I strongly recommend going with a Radeon HD 7870 or Geforce GTX 660ti both are much more powerful and are just in my opinion a better match for that CPU.
I suggest the Radeon HD 7870, this one has a great cooler and has great bang for your buck at that price range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404 $220

swilczak

Distinguished
It is very easy to build a PC, but it can be risky if you know nothing about computers. If you are good at following instructions I say go for it, you'll have fun. Try not to touch any of the chips with your bare hands, and get a grounding strap they're really cheap.