Sign in with
Your question

What things do I need to do with my used HDD to use it in a new build?

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2013 7:37:35 PM

I'm asking this for my cousin. He's getting new PC parts for his birthday and we'll be building it. We're both very comfortable with handling the components and actual assembly, but we're keeping the same hard drive.

He's switching from a micro ATX mobo, Radeon 7670 and FX8120 to an i5 3570k, 660Ti and ASRock Z77 Extreme4. Completely new build aside from the hard drive and RAM.

So: What things do we need to do with the hard drive (Such as uninstalling drivers, software, etc) to safely boot up his new build?

I've seen some people say booting a PC with drivers that aren't suited to the GPU can cause odd problems. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

More about : things hdd build

April 8, 2013 8:17:16 PM

A quick reformat of the drive and re install the OS
April 8, 2013 8:40:23 PM

giltyler said:
A quick reformat of the drive and re install the OS

Do you reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows 7 before you put in your new build? Do you need to uninstall the AMD programs? I am switching from amd to nvidia and intel. I also don't have a disc copy of Windows 7, it came pre-installed on my HDD
Related resources
April 9, 2013 12:23:53 AM

If you don't have an install OS disk, you can't format the hdd, you will have to just use the same hdd and hopefully be able to do a REPAIR for the new motherboard.

However, if you could acquire an OS disk get an OEM, it is single user licence only but costs about $100.

Disregard the following if you do not have a bootable OS disk -
Boot to the OS install disk. DELETE all and any partitions including ones that have no drive letter. Reboot then start the install porcedure again. Format full the whole hdd then install.

If you only format the hdd, you don't delete any of the hidden information from any previous install.

Best to use SATA 0 for the cd/dvd ddrive and use Sata port 4 for the hdd.
April 9, 2013 5:55:46 AM

TenPc said:
If you don't have an install OS disk, you can't format the hdd, you will have to just use the same hdd and hopefully be able to do a REPAIR for the new motherboard.

However, if you could acquire an OS disk get an OEM, it is single user licence only but costs about $100.

Disregard the following if you do not have a bootable OS disk -
Boot to the OS install disk. DELETE all and any partitions including ones that have no drive letter. Reboot then start the install porcedure again. Format full the whole hdd then install.

If you only format the hdd, you don't delete any of the hidden information from any previous install.

Best to use SATA 0 for the cd/dvd ddrive and use Sata port 4 for the hdd.

Thanks. How often does the repair option work? And if it doesn't will he be stuck without a PC untill he can get a copy?
April 9, 2013 3:05:42 PM

How often does the repair option work? It works every time, there is no limitation.

If the previous install on the hdd was for a motherboard that is the same Brand as the current one then you won't need a new install, the OS would just update the drivers to suit the new motherboard but if the chipset is different then you would need to do a new install.

You have no PC without an OS, well you do have a PC but it would be a PC paperweight!
April 9, 2013 3:30:19 PM

TenPc said:
How often does the repair option work? It works every time, there is no limitation.

If the previous install on the hdd was for a motherboard that is the same Brand as the current one then you won't need a new install, the OS would just update the drivers to suit the new motherboard but if the chipset is different then you would need to do a new install.

You have no PC without an OS, well you do have a PC but it would be a PC paperweight!

Lol, thanks. I think we've lined up someone who has a disk, so we'll buy an activation code.

!