main parts compatibilty for budget gamer

AndaleTheGreat

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I'm planning to put together a budget gamer with the intent of buying more/replacement parts later in the year. I quite badly want to get something more modern started as my current laptop is 3 and half years since purchase.

I am looking at the following products to get started:
G. Skill 8GB x1 for now.
MSI motherboard on the cheap to be replaced by a proper OC board later since I want the K series cpu.
i5 3570K Ivy as it seems to be a good midrange but modern cpu with OC available.
I have a 400w Dynex just lying about right now that I think I can use until I get a video card.

I am planning to deal with on-board graphics for now. My hope is to be able to play decently until I get a video card but my worry is if I'll have to buy a new mobo first. If this board is useless towards a decent card then I will just plan to buy a better board. Possibly this MSI z77a.

My question? Will this be a completely useless build? Will the 3570 be able to game better than my 3 yr old toshiba laptop without a video card? Am I missing something really obvious? I'm very open to solutions as I fell out of the 'hardware know how' loop about 6 yrs ago when I stopped paying attention.

Links don't seem to be highlighted for me but everything is linked.

sharingan5

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2013
DEfinitely an i series k processor is better than a laptop. Other components seem proper.
Just one thing, please get a better PSU now. If PSU's like these, cheap and non 80 plus certified die, they take other parts with them.
(Happened to me recently and I am still hurting and my wallet is gonna hurt more)

Buy a 500 to 550W Corsair and that should be enough for any Graphics Card you want to add in the future.

AndaleTheGreat

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
sharingan5 I was kinda thinking the same thing. Meant to check the 400 b4 I used it to be sure main rail was enough, doubt it is. I think I have a 500w somewhere that is a good quality, but maybe i'll just pick one up anyway.
Batuchka, that kinda misses the point. I've been trying to buy a comp for awhile and I've not been able to get up the cash all at once, something always seems to happen, plus an i5 3750 should hold up for awhile longer, especially since I'm someone who doesn't mind using the mid to low graphics settings provided I get good control/fps. I can still play SC3 on my lappy just fine mith moderate settings, but Magicka has control delays so bad I can't cast most of the time.

sharingan5

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, make sure its certified and you will be fine.
A K series Processor, with on-board graphics will suit you fine.
Later on you can put Graphics Card and a better motherboard if you want.
Though a decent CPU and a GPU can overcome the motherboard bottleneck to some extent.

AndaleTheGreat

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Is there a midgrade board you'd suggest over this cheapo? Not anything with overclock necessarily, just something that won't bottleneck me to death. It was a concern I'd had looking at this board.