Dell XPS Studio 8100 - Upgrading Graphics Card

dannypc

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Hi all,

I really need to buy a new graphics card as a couple of my games crash, the graphics card keeps crashing & recovering & my monitor keeps going to sleep due to no connection.

My specs are:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU - 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Current Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Display Memory: 3797 MB

Any suggestions of a good card that is compatible?

Thanks,
Danny

G

What motherboard do you have, and how much are you willing to spend?

dannypc

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Budget is not a huge thing as such, but don't want to be spending the cost of a new computer :)

The motherboard is one by Dell, apparently custom made by Intel (according to Dell Tech support).

G

No problem :p I didn't know a thing about technology until last september when I got my first customised PC.

So you want to be able to play games, wel the GTX 660ti 2GB vers. can handle pretty much any game on the market right now, although you may want to future proof yourself, especially right now with the new consoles to be released soon. Games will spike up in their intensity on hardware, so maybe even go with a GTX 670 2Gb or 4GB vers.

Personally, I have an ATI HD Radeon 7950, and it can handle everything I throw at it, but since you have a NVIDIA card now, I thought you might want to stick with them.

What kind of games do you play, and how long do you want the card to last you? I assume since you said budget isn't an issue you're willing to spend a few hundred bucks on a card that will amaze you.