Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE resetting to default voltage

Cgil1987

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hello,

I've got a Phenom II X4 965 BE running at the factory (3.4 GHZ) clock setting. On AMD's site it looks like the voltages for the 125 W are between .825 - 1.40 V. So if I set my CPU voltage to auto in the BIOS it should set it to something in this range? I'm curious because my CPU VID is currently at 1.475 V and I don't recall changing this. It must be able to run at a lower voltage at stock (3.4 GHZ) clocks right?

-Thanks

Yes 1.475 is higher than the default voltage for your cpu. All 965BE's have slightly different voltage settings, AMD sets the voltage of each CPU based on its particular die quality, voltage needs, and power usage 1.4V was the maximum default voltage of any 965BE, heck I have even seen 980BE's with a default VID of 1.344 Volts . If you are not trying to overclock there is no need to have the voltage so high and I would set the voltage to auto in the bios and see if it changes it. Worse case you can manually set the voltage to 1.4 Volts but you most likely could set the voltage to 1.3 Volts and your cpu would still be stable. Setting the voltage lower than the default at top speed can save you some power consumption and usually makes the cpu run cooler. Just make sure you run LinX or OCCT or Prime95 to make sure your setup is stable.

http://download.asrock.com/manual/970%20Extreme4.pdf
I looked up the manual for your motherboard it and said to go under the "OC Tweaker" screen then set "Multiplier/Voltage Change" to manual and you should be able to set the voltage to whatever you want. You might have to set "Overclock Mode" to manual before you will be able to do that but as I do not have your same motherboard it is hard to know for sure. I hope this helps. The select "Pick solution" button is at the right side of post by users other than you in a thread that you start.

Cgil1987

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

Thanks for the info utroz, again very helpful. For some reason it isn't presenting me with the "pick a solution" option for this particular thread though it has on another thread which I believe you answered as well.

I've since been able to confirm in my BIOS that my mobo was in fact setting the voltage to 1.475 for whatever reason, so I've manually set that to 1.4 for the time being, but will set it a bit lower later today, maybe 1.35 and run prime95 for a while to make sure it's stable.