Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recommended x79 or z77 Gaming Rig $3000 with Tax

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 9, 2013 2:19:26 PM

I am looking forward to building a gaming rig.

Estimated build date: Within a month.

Budget: $3000 (with tax included, which is 8.25%

Usage: Gaming, Premier and After Effects, rendering animations, movies.

Monitor: No.

OS: Yes, Windows 7 pro, please.

Preferred sites: Amazon.com, Newegg.com.

Preferred parts: CPU: x79 or z77, Motherboard: Asrock, Asus, or Gigabyte. GPU: nVidia Asus, MSI, or Sapphire.

OC'ing: Yes, might be up to 4.8 Ghz.

SLI: Yes, dual cards.

Resolution: 5760x1080

PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W, or similar with individually braided cables.

Comments: Case needs to be white and black, with white being the main color. The color scheme will be red, black, and white. The GPU has to have a custom cooler, and it MUST have a backplate (Like Asus's DirectCU II, or similar.) Motherboard has to have at least 4 USB 3's in the rear I/O, and 1 or 2 USB 3 headers. Closed looped water cooling, with the best performance radiator/pump. I am also a silence freak. I would like to have it set up in a push/pull configuration. It needs to have an SSD, and a 1tb HDD. I would like it to have high (500 Mb/s read and write. It can also be in the upper 400's, too.

Extras: You guys can discuss, and give me recommended parts, so have fun. The items must have Free Super Saver Shipping, if you're component is from Amazon.com.
April 9, 2013 2:58:41 PM

will be stalking this page, I am looking for a really similar build as well :) 

April 9, 2013 3:56:13 PM

lolplanet said:
will be stalking this page, I am looking for a really similar build as well :) 



Go ahead, buddy. I don't know why people aren't responding to this forum, though.... :/ 
Related resources
April 9, 2013 3:57:09 PM

lolplanet said:
will be stalking this page, I am looking for a really similar build as well :) 



You mind if you post your build here?
a b 4 Gaming
April 9, 2013 4:42:51 PM

lolplanet said:
will be stalking this page, I am looking for a really similar build as well :) 



give me a pm. ill help out
April 9, 2013 4:45:25 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.10 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($304.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.15 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($263.65 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($988.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi XL Window (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($27.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $2937.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-09 19:42 EDT-0400)

I personally think you don't need SLi if you going for a GTX 690. The color scheme is white / blue / black rather than white / red / black. Eh. Should get Corsair 650D instead but it doesn't come in white.
a b 4 Gaming
April 9, 2013 4:49:44 PM

as for OP

you are never going to get 4.8ghz on anything other than custom watercooling and above

id get something like this. if you arent doing a ton of CPU based work (video editing), z77 is fine. mostly grey, white, and black.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PBCO

if you are doing a ton of work along with gaming, get the x79 version
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PBEV
a b 4 Gaming
April 9, 2013 4:50:25 PM

aonor said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.10 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($304.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.15 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($263.65 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($988.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi XL Window (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($27.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $2937.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-09 19:42 EDT-0400)

I personally think you don't need SLi if you going for a GTX 690. The color scheme is white / blue / black rather than white / red / black. Eh. Should get Corsair 650D instead but it doesn't come in white.


the fractal r4 is built better in every way and is quite a bit cheaper
April 9, 2013 5:03:52 PM

Hm... I'll loom through those when I have some time. Maybe in the next 20 minutes or so...
April 9, 2013 5:43:22 PM

You are spending $3,000 on a computer, and you insist on free shipping? That just sounds silly. Realize that over $1,000 diminishing returns set it in, and you are paying a hefty premium for performance that isn't that far ahead of more budget friendly components. I'm not saying this is bad, because hey, your money. Just make sure you realize this.

The i7 3930K is the second best processor and costs roughly $500, but its unlocked overclock means its roughly on par with the i7-3970X which is something like $400 more. Gaming performance will only be minimally better than the roughly $200 i5-3570K, but maybe your other software could use the extra performance.

I think the best rated closed loop liquid CPU cooler is the Kraken X60. As an aside, push/pull is probably more trouble than its worth. Use quality fans optimized for radiators in pull configuration. Otherwise, dust will build up between the "push" fan and the radiator choking air flow, which you cannot easily see it or clean it. Meanwhile, the actual performance improvement will be minimal, since air does not flow twice as fast with two fans. Here's a video covering the basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyC3lZ5WFMk .

Meanwhile, when it comes to overclocks, you are at the mercy of the luck gods. You can try to buy a better OC experience, but in the end, if your CPU doesn't want to cooperate, it won't matter how much you spent on your liquid cooler.
a b 4 Gaming
April 9, 2013 6:07:58 PM

Greatatlantic said:
You are spending $3,000 on a computer, and you insist on free shipping? That just sounds silly. Realize that over $1,000 diminishing returns set it in, and you are paying a hefty premium for performance that isn't that far ahead of more budget friendly components. I'm not saying this is bad, because hey, your money. Just make sure you realize this.

The i7 3930K is the second best processor and costs roughly $500, but its unlocked overclock means its roughly on par with the i7-3970X which is something like $400 more. Gaming performance will only be minimally better than the roughly $200 i5-3570K, but maybe your other software could use the extra performance.

I think the best rated closed loop liquid CPU cooler is the Kraken X60. As an aside, push/pull is probably more trouble than its worth. Use quality fans optimized for radiators in pull configuration. Otherwise, dust will build up between the "push" fan and the radiator choking air flow, which you cannot easily see it or clean it. Meanwhile, the actual performance improvement will be minimal, since air does not flow twice as fast with two fans. Here's a video covering the basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyC3lZ5WFMk .

Meanwhile, when it comes to overclocks, you are at the mercy of the luck gods. You can try to buy a better OC experience, but in the end, if your CPU doesn't want to cooperate, it won't matter how much you spent on your liquid cooler.


it tends to be 1150 where things peak in value.

and why go with closed loop when a hyper 212 evo is where value peaks and the noctua d14 and the phanteks equivalent ends with a massive drop off
April 9, 2013 7:47:54 PM

TheBigTroll said:
aonor said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.10 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($304.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.15 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($263.65 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($988.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi XL Window (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 1050W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($27.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $2937.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-09 19:42 EDT-0400)

I personally think you don't need SLi if you going for a GTX 690. The color scheme is white / blue / black rather than white / red / black. Eh. Should get Corsair 650D instead but it doesn't come in white.


the fractal r4 is built better in every way and is quite a bit cheaper


He wanted a white case, but I suppose if he's looking for a black one; I'd recommend Corsair 200r or 300r Windowed.
a b 4 Gaming
April 10, 2013 3:37:01 AM

fractal is avaliable in white and in windowed editions. the 300R pales in comparision with a fractal r4
!