First build: i5 3570k or FX-8350

7-D

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Buidling my first computer and have been finding these forums insanely useful for info so thought i'd put my question out for advice. I've read similar responses but nothing quite as precise as I wanted.

The main focus for my machine is graphic design (but gaming is also very important to me). I'm reading in some places that the multi-threading on the 8350 will give the edge in terms of design but i'm also reading that Adobe software doesn't really use much multi-threading anyway? I don't do video editing and use mainly Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator. I do however run these programs simultaneously so will multi-threading give me any benefit there? I was thinking smooth operation of all those programs would have been more of a RAM issue though? (i'm going for 8gb). Essentially: does this multi-threading really matter for non-video design? If not then I've heard that the i5 3570k is just all round preferable.

I was actually set on the intel but someone mentioned the FX-8350 and now i'm not sure? Hopefully didn't waffle to much. Thanks.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Under your circumstances, the FX8350 makes the most sense, because alot of the adobe programs will use more cores to render...plus if you got into something like revit, it will eat as many cores as you throw at it. The FX8350 destroys the i5-3570k in video editing/rendering/graphic design...it's not even a race worth running for intel. The i7-3770k will run with the FX8350 there, but for $130 difference you could OC the FX8350 with liquid cooling and further widen the gap in performance and still have change in your pocket to buy a steak dinner.

Intel is not the right choice for you at this point...

EDIT: Adding in the fact that you run the programs simultaneously and multi-task constantly, and the margin grows in favor of the AMD option even more. Save yourself $130 over the comparable intel option, put it with the rest of the money you were going to spend on a GPU and get something like a HD 7950/7970 and that will have a good impact on your rendering capability!

7-D

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Great, thanks for the detailed response. Appreciate it.

I'm guessing this comes up a lot then...