Sign in with
Your question

Seagate ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB apparently high response times

Last response: in Storage
April 9, 2013 6:19:07 PM

Hi,

I have HP Pavillion g6 2240em (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03...) laptop. It has Seagate ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB HDD with 750 GB. I have win 8 installed.

Today, my windows 8 startup began to be slower than it used to be, and it can't be due to the new programs installed. I regularly disable all the unneeded startup programs and services to get the best startup time. When looking at Performance in Task Manager, the readings for my HDD are a bit strange. Response time when under moderate loads is couple of tens of milliseconds. When on higher loads and read/write speeds, response time goes wayyy up, 300-500 ms and sometimes even more than 1000 ms!

From what I know about hard drives, response times should remain under 10 ms, but I'm not really experienced and I really don't know what is acceptable and what is not.

I need someone's opinion on this. Should I be worried about my hard drive? What tools can I use to further test my HDD?

PS. I have used SeaTools and it passed all the basic tests. Also, I ran PassMark Burn-In test on it and it also passed.
a b G Storage
April 15, 2013 1:17:06 AM

looks like one or more programs you installed is using the drive constantly. try uninstalling some of the new installed programs. see if it solve you problem.
!