Who's pre-built would you buy?

zzzhuh

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Of all of the Pre-built Desktop computers for sale in the USA, which one would you buy if price were not the determining factor, but you wanted good manufacturer's customer service and a dependable family computer? Thank you very much.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Are you talking custom manufacturers or big brand name ones?

Custom meaning, cyberpower, ibuypower, falcon northwest, etc...

Brand names being: Dell, Asus, Acer, HP, etc..

zzzhuh

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I'm just beginning my search for a new Windows 8 computer, and am open to whichever manufacturer you think is the best. Preferably, a company that stands behind their warranty, offers good customer service, and boots up the computer to test it, before they ship it out. Thanks.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Hmm, well of all the computer companies I've bought computer's from: Dell, Lenovo, Apple and Acer.

I can only give you my experience of two regarding Windows 8.

You've got to be careful when buying a computer with Windows 8 on it these days because it seems to me that since it's a new OS, alot of the bloatware that these companies put on the computers really slow things down. Examples include: I got my mom an Acer Touchscreen laptop with Windows 8 on it. The laptop wouldn't load webpages correctly and no matter how much Microsoft's customer support tried to help me fix the problem, the only way to fix it was to do a CLEAN install of Windows 8 on the computer with none of the manufacturers bloatware on it. Now it works like a dream.

Now my wife just got a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8 and it's having worse problems because of the heap of bloatware on it, running in the background and what not. Her system will hang when booting up or take FOREVER to startup which Windows 8 is not known for. It's a very fast OS. She's reluctant to do a clean system wipe but it'll have to be done sometime or another.

For these reasons, I suggest going with a custom PC manufacturer because they'll just install the clean OS on there, they aren't gonna clog it up with their own gimmicky software.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with buying from a custom pc manufacturer but they all have decent warranty programs, I'd say ibuypower.com has the better customer service from the looks of how they run their business. And I believe all the custom pc manufacturers will boot the computer to test before sending. You may have to ask the companies themselves of that policy though.

Either way, good luck!

zzzhuh

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I never thought of that, but it is true.

Is there a ranking of all of the custom PC manufacturers?
I'd like to see a comparison, before I learn the hard way.

Thank you.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

I searched far and wide for some sort of ranking chart for you but I came up with nothing.

Honestly, the best thing to do here is read reviews and testimonials on the manufacturers you know of.

I wish I could be of more help.

zzzhuh

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for your work!

I would never have heard of Falcon Northwest unless you had mentioned it, but I really like their website. They are pricey, but appear to have a great warranty, good customer service, and the say that they boot up every computer before they ship it.

Thank you very much!

Last Call:

Does anybody know of a better company than Falcon Northwest?

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

I heard good things about Puget systems. But my vote still goes to iBuyPower for good prices.

zzzhuh

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Want to have some fun building the perfect computer?

I'm going to buy a Falcon Northwest Talon. But some of the choices are still undecided.

So here's a link:

http://www.falcon-nw.com/configure-falcon

click on: "Configure A Talon"

...and build the perfect Talon and then post the Components list here:

If it's good, I might just buy your Configuration...

Thanks!

g-unit1111

Titan

They are among the best in the industry - been around since the mid 80's - and their systems are highly regarded and sought after. Them, Origin, Puget, and Digital Storm are as good as it gets for pre-built rigs.