How important is an anti-static wrist strap?

bluelobster

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I figure, since it's 2013, components should be pretty resistant to static damage. I'm going to take precautions when building my PC tomorrow by grounding myself often, but I'm still on the fence about a wrist strap. Is it really worth it?

Also, I plan on building the PC on a table on top of a carpeted area. Is this a bad idea? Also, does wearing particular shoes/clothes make a difference (barefoot, rubber-bottomed shoes, cotton shirt, etc.)?

yzchamp

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I always ask myself - how often do I shock myself with static electricity. This is probably not good because it takes a lot less than you can feel to damage parts but it helps me sleep at night. For example- I seem to always shock myself when I pet my cat, so "fluffy" stays in the other room. I like to wear shoes and not socks, and I don't set it up directly on carpet..., your on a table anyways. I've always built mine while standing on carpet and occasionally touch some metal esp before I handle the expensive stuff... not so much the ram. IMO just touch some metal

Disclaimer- yzchamp assumes no responsibility for damaged parts but will take all the credit for saving you money on the wrist strap if nothing gets damaged. :ange:

I figure since its 2013, gold has somehow changed its conductivity to electricity.
Doesn't work like that, static sensitive electronics will still be sensitive no matter the year.

You dont need a wrist strap to build a machine, as long as you regularly touch a grounded object and/or the case (preferable with a plugged in PSU in it) you should be fine. However, a wrist strap just means that you don't have to remember to constantly make contact with something.

Be barefoot or have shoes on.

@Champ
RAM is actually one of the components most susceptible to damage from ESD.

yzchamp

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Hmm never knew that. Because the conductors are visible and shown? I figured CPU was the most susceptible to static discharge. Anyways, better safe than sorry if you're worried about it