very NOOB question about rams

BB051405

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
for example I want to put a 16gb of ram to my PC
what is the best set up to put on my PC? besides getting 4x 4gb is more expensive will 4x or having 2x or just a solo ram will affect my PC's performance?

4x 4gb RAM
2x 8gb RAM
1x 16gb RAM?

and why is it?

thanks..

Akashdeep

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Mostly 8GB of RAM is fair enough for you. If your mobo supports maximum RAM of 16GB or 32GB, then I recommend you to have 2x8GB (for maximum 16GB supported RAM) and 4x8GB(for maximum 32GB supported RAM).

As you want to have 16GB of RAM, 2x8GB will be best fit for you. 8GB is expensive than 4GB, but if you want to upgrade your RAM in future, your 4GB sticks will be just waste.

Choice is yours.

drewhoo

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Could you post your motherboard and processor model? Also, if you choose to install in only 2, make sure you follow your MoBo manual's diagram so that the DIMMs are on the same channel, otherwise they won't operate as dual channel.

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hello, :welcome:

"Could you post your motherboard and processor model?" - drewhoo

Well, the answer maybe simple but it depends on the motherboard. Firstly, make sure your motherboard does support 4 slots (most of the newer motherboards do have 4 slots but just in case as I'm unaware of your model info) and if it has 4 slots then you ought make whether the maximum memory the mobo takes is 16GB or above 16GB.

Say, your motherboard supports above 16GB of memory and has 4 slots then my suggestion would be to go with 2 x 8GB. Even if you install 4 x 4GB module there won't any difference in performance. As mentioned in the earlier posts 4GB modules will be a waste if you opt for more memory as you are most likely to ditch them to make way for the new memory (higher sized modules).

In the end, the decision rests on the applications you run or intend to run. 8GB would be good to run most of the software's whether it be gaming, CAD but however for heavy memory intensive stuffs like Video rendering, audio encoding - 16GB would be the better choice. But I do not see the need for more than 16GB unless you are running a workstation or server. 32GB is "overkill" for desktops.

Conclusion: You can base your decision on the software's you run, the max memory limit of the mobo, the no of slots of the motherboard and obviously, the inevitable question - "Do i need more memory in the near future? Or Will I be needing more memory in the future?"

Good luck with the upgrade. Cheers, mate!! :benetton:

P.S - If you think you need memory upgrade then try this one - Click here!!