Any way to install Windows 7 when PS/2 port on ASUS P5Q-E is broken, harddrive has boot priority and USB legacy isn't enabled?

Viktor1

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I want to install windows 7 but the boot priority is set so that the hard drive boots first and the optical drive second. I understand it that I need to change the priority order in the BIOS for the installation to initiate. I have a ASUS P5Q-E motherboard with BIOS version 1306 and it seems the PS/2 port on it is broken. It probably happened somewhere around when my PS/2-keyboard broke last summer. I've tried different PS/2-keyboards but they're not detected by my system and I am now using a USB connected one. I didn't know what USB Legacy was good for and never enabled it when I put my computer together a few years ago so I can't access BIOS to change the boot priority. Is there anything I can do other than installing a new motherboard?

Viktor1

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Thank you for your reply! I'm not sure, but can't think of any reason why I would change that setting since I had no knowledge of what it was for before my PS/2 keyboard broke. But then why doesn't my USB keyboard work before Windows XP starts? I have a basic Logitech K120 USB keyboard that I've tried connecting to all USB ports on the computer without luck. Based on what you write I probably did disabled USB Legacy. Perhaps by accident?