Sign in with
Your question

Any way to install Windows 7 when PS/2 port on ASUS P5Q-E is broken, harddrive has boot priority and USB legacy isn't enabled?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 10, 2013 7:43:26 AM

I want to install windows 7 but the boot priority is set so that the hard drive boots first and the optical drive second. I understand it that I need to change the priority order in the BIOS for the installation to initiate. I have a ASUS P5Q-E motherboard with BIOS version 1306 and it seems the PS/2 port on it is broken. It probably happened somewhere around when my PS/2-keyboard broke last summer. I've tried different PS/2-keyboards but they're not detected by my system and I am now using a USB connected one. I didn't know what USB Legacy was good for and never enabled it when I put my computer together a few years ago so I can't access BIOS to change the boot priority. Is there anything I can do other than installing a new motherboard?
a b $ Windows 7
a c 554 V Motherboard
April 10, 2013 8:23:57 AM

By default the Legacy is set to Auto, so the USB keyboard should work. Have you disabled the Legacy?
April 10, 2013 8:56:22 AM

alexoiu said:
By default the Legacy is set to Auto, so the USB keyboard should work. Have you disabled the Legacy?

Thank you for your reply! I'm not sure, but can't think of any reason why I would change that setting since I had no knowledge of what it was for before my PS/2 keyboard broke. But then why doesn't my USB keyboard work before Windows XP starts? I have a basic Logitech K120 USB keyboard that I've tried connecting to all USB ports on the computer without luck. Based on what you write I probably did disabled USB Legacy. Perhaps by accident?
!