how easy is it to install a new PSU

seanpr92

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Short story purchased a gaming PC from vibox I've came to upgrade to a radeon 7950 I'm currently using 8 pin pcie adapter as current one only has 6 pin but 7950 requires 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin current psu 650w ace so how easy are psu to replace/install

First off make sure the new PSU will fit into the PC case.
Its not a difficult operation, how difficult will depend on how much room you have in your case and how the cables are routed. If the cables have been properly routed around the back of the motherboard it should be possible to remove the other side of the case to access them. Don't just pull them through behind the motherboard.
If its really tight you may need to remove some parts, but that's unlikely.

Basically power down the PC. Unplug from the wall. Sometimes there can be residual power so once its unplugged I recommend you press the power button again to dissipate any residual power that may be there, you may get a slight pulse on a fan or two. then press it again to return it to the off position.

Some people recommend using an anti static wrist strap when working inside a PC. Personally I never have and have had no issues. Its sensible to touch the case from time to time to ground any static build up but as long as you are sensible and don't touch any components or connectors directly you should not have an issue.

If you are not confident you know where all the cables went or should go then label them as you remove them, Then unplug all cables and make sure they are all free from any clips or routing such as mentioned earlier.
The power supply is mounted from the outside of the case usually with just the 4 screws that surround the fan on the back of the PC. Be sure to support the PSU while you undo these screws then the PSU should easily come away from the PC.

Then its just a reverse operation to put the new one back.

Mactronix :)