Sign in with
Your question

Computer starts up then shuts down a second later

Last response: in CPUs
April 10, 2013 11:41:04 AM

Hi i made an account here to see if i can maybe get some answers to this problem. I woke up this morning and turned on my computer and there was a loud roaring sound coming from a fan in my computer and my computer didnt have any display. So i shut off the computer and turned it on again and this time the computer shut itself down after maybe 2 seconds of turning it on. At first i thought this maybe a psu problem so i did the paper clip test on my corsair psu and turns out my psu was working fine. I also tried starting my computer without my graphics card and the problem still persists. I read on other threads about some people having the same problems and people reccomended buying a new cpu and motherboard but im a bit tight on money right now so i want to try and find a solution if possible. My computer started just fine yesterday as well so it's confusing as to how something could happen to it overnight. Also i had this computer for about 2 years now with my latest upgrade being my graphics a couple a months ago from. 470 to a 670. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. My computer specs are...

CPU- Intel i7 950
PSU- Corsair TX850w
GPU- EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Ram- 2 Sticks of 4gb by Corsair
Motherboard- Asus Sabertooth X58
Heatsink- Cooler Master V8
Harddrive- Western Digital Black 1TB
Case- Cooler Master HAF 932

More about : computer starts shuts

a c 387 à CPUs
April 11, 2013 3:14:45 PM

There could be several components at play there. The PSU would still be the most likely. All the 'paper clip' test does is verify the PSU turns on. You would have to check voltages to see if there is a problem. Even then, the voltages may read fine with no load, but fail when in service. The best way to determine if it is a PSU problem would be to beg, borrow, or steal another known-working PSU to test on your system.

Your CPU could be over-heating due to dried out thermal paste, but that condition wouldn't happen all at once. You'd be having shutdowns or reboots due to high CPU temps before the PC just suddenly quits starting.
April 11, 2013 4:32:37 PM

Computer MIGHT be failing POST. For more info, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test
It doesn't have to be the PSU having a problem, it could be the cables or the motherboard/CPU themselves. Some motherboards use single 12v rails while others don't. Tell us EXACTLY which cables you connected to where. Pictures would be very useful. Also tell us of any beeps.
!