Google Fiber and AT&T Promise Gigabit Internet for Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hey, look at that! Some real competition for once! I want Google Fiber in the Washington DC area. Maybe then I can get away from the crap slow speeds of Comcast or the constant YouTube throttling of Verizon.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I'm wondering why AT&T even bothered to make this type of announcement. I know they have no plans of pricing themselves competitively against google. Hopefully Google will continue to expand this project to other cities and show the big ISP's how its done.

G

Gigabit internet speeds and yet watching YouTube at night will still slow to a crawl.

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Absolutely, Time Warner sucks here in Columbus and they just acquired Insight, so they have very little competition. Since they bought Insight, TW's internet speeds have dropped where I live.

G

Gigabit internet speeds and yet watching YouTube at night will still slow to a crawl. I currently get 110mbs down 12 up with Comcast for $100 a month.

aint happening until the goverment removes that crap law that there cant be major compeptition from the big 4 companies. there is a reason that whenever a smaller company tries to get big, they get sued

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Please Google, come to the SF area (come on, they're based around here, in Mountain View), and free me from the tyrany of Comcast and AT&T (the latter of who only provides 1.5mbps service where I live, but has u-verse literally a mile or two away... wtf?).

Dawson Fiberhood

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
A group from Austin's South side is starting a movement to bring Google Fiber to Dawson Neighborhood first. They could really use some exposure and invite the media to help. Contact info at dawsonfiberhood blogspot com

rutoojinn

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

The hell I have had Verizon for years and I upload like terabytes every month I have yet to experience throttling... Of course cable do shitty practices like throttling and bandwidth cap but I yet to experience or even heard that Verizon do the same.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
ATT: "...capable of delivering speeds up to 1 gigabit per second..."
AKA maybe we will offer it or maybe not... but it is CAPABLE.

Seems like more bullshit by typical crap ATT-ISP to create hype.

And saying you will be capable to deliver the service is just like TimeWarner saying they are CAPABLE of delivering fiber to home but at what cost? Last time I checked they wanted more than a few $ for fiber to home a month! I mean it so expensive that they don't even advertise it until you ask. Ridiculousness!

Unless it is the same reasonable cost as Google's fiber then it is all smoke and mirrors. I mean look at their prices now for ATT's "fiber" U-verse $70 before taxes for measly 24Mbps down and 3-5Mpbs up.

Don't hold your breath for ATT.

Rabin Pro

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
intel 3770k system is only 100 bucks more than fx 8350 build. And gtx 7970 is as good as gtx 680. So what we are fighting for here is " Is that 100 buck less really worth it?"

Rabin Pro

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
here weve got 10mega bytes per secone youtube do to google cache server in NEpal.. but internet speed is capped to 256kbps. 1 mpbs is around 300 dollars per month lol. Google Nepal and you;ll find out

Rabin Pro

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
here weve got 10mega bytes per secone youtube do to google cache server in NEpal.. but internet speed is capped to 256kbps. 1 mpbs is around 300 dollars per month lol. Google Nepal and you;ll find out

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

I had 24 Mbit UVerse in my old place. I moved to a new unit in the same apartment complex and they only offered 18Mbit there. I just switched back to Comcast and Im not sure how fast its supposed to be for the $49/mo Im paying but I was getting almost 90Mbit from Speedtest.net last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.