Q6600 G0 Overheating?

moshan

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hello!
I've recently get a Q6600 cpu and I've had a big surprise. On stock cooler the cpu was reaching 90 degrees in 2-3 minutes, so I had to buy a new cooler. I couldn't afford a good one right now so I'm stuck with a DeepCool Alpha 10...(furthermore I don't have a case fan).

I know that it has been asked so many times about temps, but I want to know if my system is stable. At idle core temps are between 45-50 degrees. Hosting a minecraft server and playing on it will take this temps to 65 degrees. With prime95 stresstest will reach around 86 degrees in 5 minutes. I know the temps are pretty high but is my system safe just for gaming and no 100% load?

Also another problem I need help on is that sometimes ( I noticed that this happens when room temperature is higher than normal) my computer restarts without warning. It's like a restart from the button...The CPU is not overheated when this happens. So what could be the problem?

The last issue that I've noticed is that sometimes the sound is kinda freezing (not really stops, but there's a distorted sound for 1-2 seconds). Could it be because this temps or just bad driver?(drivers are installed from the Mobo DVD)

I would be very grateful if you could advice me.

My specs :
Mobo: MSI P43T-C51
CPU: Q6600 G0 (not overclocked)
Video: Ati Radeon HD5450
Psu: I don't know the model but it's 450W

PS: Temps have been monitorized with CoreTemp.

For the Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 G0 stepping you are looking at it accepting temperatures up to the tcase of 71°C. While Tcase doesn't translate directly into the way that you can measure it it is good enough to say you really dont want to push past it.

With Prime95 you are going to see the highest temperatures you will ever see. So don't think that you will see these temperatures when gaming.

As far as the restart and that I would guess it is a driver issue that is causing the problem. I would update your Bios on the board and remove the HSF (heatsink/fan) clean all of the thermal paste off the processor and HSF and than reapply it (use about 1 half of a pea and spread it out to the size of a quarter than put the HSF back on and fix it in place.

Next time the system crashes reach into the case and put your hand near the PSU (power supply unit) and see if you are feeling uncommonly high temperatures coming off from it. Your crashes may be related to a PSU starting to go bad.

BTW I look HWMoniter (as I have done well with it in the past).

moshan

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Thank you very much for answering! I will keep you up to date as soon as I get this things done. Thanks again for replying!

I have a non-overclocked Q6600 G0 stepping with the stock cooler and it reaches 62°C max when running Prime95. Are you sure the stock cooler really is the one that came with the Q6600 and not one from a Core 2 Duo?

About the restart, it could be caused by the motherboard, but I'd try another PSU if schmuckley's suggestion doesn't help. You should check what PSU you have to make sure that it really is 450W and not some 250W PSU labelled as 450W.

moshan

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
First of all, thank you for all the answers!
Secondly, the CPU voltage is 1.2V so...I don't think I should undervolt it.
And finally, the PSU is 450W for sure.
Also, I've managed to fix the sound problem. I've updated to last audio driver and for now sounds fine.

moshan

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

The stock cooler looks like this one:
TC3G-2028-a.jpg

moshan

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

That temp is core temp or CPU temp?

core temp using Core Temp 0.99.1.

They all look the same, but the Q6600 stock cooler has a copper base. If properly installed with AS5 (very thin layer), then it works fine unless you overclock and/or apply too much voltage.

moshan

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Ok guys, I've found out the solution for sound and restart issues.
The sounds was distorted by my anti-virus, which was creating a huge lagg. I've monitorized the pc latency with DPC Latency Checker and I've figured that the anti-virus program was the cause.
The resart problem, I think is caused by power fluctuations so I need to buy as soon as possible an UPS.
Thank you for trying to help me!

Andrew Mitchell

Honorable
May 31, 2013
If you want a cheap but effective cooler, check out the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2

I had been using the stock cooler on my Q6600 (G0) until I got the above and my max temps were in the high 70s (NOT OC'd) and now it hasn't gone over 51 (OC'd to 3GHz) in over 2 weeks of constant video encoding.
Rather than blowing the hot air down on to the motherboard, it directs it to the back or top of your case (you can mount it whichever way you prefer), where you should ideally have a fan extracting the air out of the case already.

I'm in the UK and it cost me all of £16 for a new one from dabs.com!