CPU Overclock i5 3570k

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Ok I overclocked my i5 3570K to 4.0 using ASRock Extreme4 z77 and when I logged into windows, I go on window's experience, it says 3.4 but I looked at my ASRock Extreme Turner Utility it says 4 when some programs are being used, but idle it goes to 1600... smh I used this Overclocking guide-> http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

I just need to know if it is actually 4.0 when programs are being used. But seriously 1600 at idle? O_O Help meh and thank you for your time :)
Unless you have tips to fix this status.

Intel® SpeedStep® is a feature built into your processor that clocks the processor down to 1.6GHz to save power and lower temperatures on our processors. This is a money saving feature for you. While it can be disabled in the Bios I dont advise it since it doesnt add anything to your build.

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
@IntelEnthusiast, ihog

That would means that my Overclocked setting is actually at 4.2GHz regardless what the Windows Experience Index is saying? Then I am guessing it's no issue at all, just something I don't need to worry about? I am just asking all those question since I am coming from an AMD so I am pretty clueless on Intel and so far I am loving it :)

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

I got mine OC'd to 4.2GHz so far and Prime tested it for 40 mins, seems stable. What's your voltage? My is max at 77C I don't like the temp but I heard its safe. I still would like to know your voltage if they're stable.

Mine is (Shown from ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility)

~CPU Voltage Offset- +0.005V
~DRAM Voltage- 1.500V
~PCH Voltage- 1.059V
~VTT Voltage- 1.076V
~CPU PLL Voltage- 1.832V
~VCCSA Voltage Offset- 0.925V
~IGPU Voltage Offset- 0V

Is it any good?

ihog

Distinguished
I'd feel very comfortable there, as long as your ambient temps stay about the same. So you haven touched the voltage yet? And yes, everything else looks fine.

I don remember what voltage I had 4.2 at.

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90999165@N05/8641973738/in/photostream/lightbox/

Thats my Previous OC at that voltage. (shown picture above)
I reduced it down to 4.0 for now just to be safe.

+1 for ihog

Your system does look good and your temperatures are fine. I have an Intel® Core™ i5-3570K sitting on the desk next to me running at 4.3GHz without an issue.

Also Intel SpeedStep only kicks in when the processor is idle and Windows Index is hokey. It only gives you a glimpse at your performance at that moment in time based on what else has been reported to them. So in a year it will be even lower as new processors come on the market.