Can you use 2400mhz RAM with a 1866mhz mobo?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hi!

Basically, I currently have 16gb (4 x 4gb) of Corsair Vengeance black memory, and I want to upgrade to some Gskill/Kinsgston/Mushkin. My question is as follows:

My motherboard and CPU only support up to 1866mhz memory, so can I use memory with a higher clock speed, but just have it down clocked to 1866mhz?

Also, if you can do this, if I purchase, lets say some 2400mhz memory, does this mean that I am more likely to get a stable overclock on the memory?

Before anyone says anything, I know overclocking memory makes little or no difference in the long run, and you will only notice the difference in memory benchmarks, but I like to get the most from my system to see how far I can push it. =)

I am planning on buying 2 x 8gb DIMM's to replace my current 4 x 4gb DIMM's, as I have heard 2 is better than 4 on a dual channel motherboard. Is this true? I have a friend using the same memory as mine, however he only has 2 x 4gb DIMM's and when he runs Passmark from CPUBenchmark, his memory scores are all twice as good as mine?

Thanks for your time!

P.S. Look below for my system specs for those who are interested. =)

I_Am_Weasel

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Some motherboards just don't like certain configurations (memory chip technology and/or size per module) that's why you see a memory support list so the issue is more about compatibility with a certain type of memory chip and size rather than frequency. You can use higher frequency than supported by motherboard because when you boot up first time you'll see that the memory runs at default 1333 no matter what the actual rated speed is, so to get it at that speed you select a XMP profile. If you want to use a non standard frequency you will have to manually set everything in the bios, multiplier and timings, since there will not be a XMP profile.

delapenja

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
When i use a RAM Memory with higher clock speed than the mob o or cpu can support,,the downgrading to the supported speed happens automatically without me having to do smth??

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
What mobo and CPU, sounds like maybe a Sabertooth, if Intel and a K model CPU you should be able to hit 2400, if AMD, there is a slight possibility, have seen some 8350s hit 2400 but generally with 8GB or less, so if AMD might save a little and look at 2133 max

anlebodys

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
good, some 8350s hit 2400 but generally with 8GB or less, so if AMD might save a little and look at 2133 max ,thanks
2QF7mT