Cleaned Graphics Card now a black screen,any ideas?

notayuppypc

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, please be gentle!

After grounding myself to earth, I removed my VTX 3D AMD Radeon HD6770 1GB graphics card to remove a build up of dust around the fan and heat exchanger using a can of air. I blew out the PCIe slot as well. I replaced the card back in the PCIe slot and re-connected the power cable, I powered back on, I can hear THE BIOS beep but all I have is just a black display on the screen. The fan runs on the graphics card. I removed the card again and re-seated the card again, it is a good clean fit back into the PCIe slot, I changed the six pin power cable foranother just to make sure it wasn't that, the fan will work but still no display. I've tried a separate DVI and a HDMI cable, swapping around to connect to the monitor but still a black screen.

So I've swapped over to the on-board Motherboard Intel (R) HD Graphics to get a display on my screen using the DVI cable. Checking in the Device Manager and Display Adapters my 1GB AMD Radeon HD6770 is now not there! It just displays the onboard Intel (R) HD Graphics.

I've disabled in Device Manager the onboard Intel (R) HD Graphics as well, tried to see if the Graphics card would show up in the Device Manager, but it still doesn't.

I fear that the AMD Radeon HD6770 has blown with the cleaning or could it be something else that's causing it not to be recognised in Display Adapters? I'm wondering if when taking the graphics card out for cleaning it may have corrupted something, either in the BIOS setup or the installed AMD drivers. Or is the PCIe slot broken, can this happen?

As a matter of course I removed the AMD drivers and re-installed the latest drivers off the AMD website. After doing that I lost the Catalyst Manager, which was there before even after the Graphics card would not work. I've been into the BIOS setup and theres no way of disabling the onboard graphics, I can only change the CHIPSET/NORTH BRIDGE/ INITIATE GRAPHIC ADAPTER which is set to PEG IGD. I thought in this case the graphics card would disable the onboard graphics when it's fitted back into the PCIe slot but that doesn't seem to be working.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated because I'm stumped. I don't have another PCIe card or PC available to test and try it out so I may have to buy a new graphics card!

Specs: Motherboard is a Foxconn H61MXV, Intel Core i7 processor, Windows7 64bit, 8GB Ram,450 watt PSU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You may have gotten a bit too forcefull with the compressed air and blown lose a component from the card's PCB. Or maybe wedged something in the PCIe X16 slot with the air. Examine the slot with a good light to see if anything looks odd. With the card out of the slot, the BIOS should default to the on-board video. See if anything is shorting contacts in the slot.

notayuppypc

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

okay,will have a look.

notayuppypc

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Installed a replacement new graphics card and it now works. So I must have damaged the old card either with static or being to forceful with the air.

spat55

Distinguished

Bad luck!! Oh well, looks like you can upgrade it now :lol: