Adding another HDD

kazica

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
I have 80 GB Pata HDD and it's getting low on space.I am thinking of adding another 500GB SATA.

What I want to do is make the new 500 GB HDD primary and old one secondary for backups. And also make it my OS HDD. How can i transfer all my OS and files to the new HDD. IS it possible to do by Clone software, if yes by which and how. Please advise.

Solution

When you clone the OS - and i asume we talk...

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

Moving OS from old PATA drive to new SATA drive is abit pain in the a***

Regardless of what OS you have - Win XP , Win Vista or Win 7 maybe - i expect you have Win XP

You can`t CLONE - you end up with blue screen of death (BSOD)

I advise you to connect new drive
Temporary disconnect old one
Start the PC
Clean install of OS on the SATA drive
You can divide you drive to partitions as many you like - i go for 50-60 Gb ( C:) and the rest 340 - 350Gb for DATA (D:)
After you all done - drivers etc. power off
Connect you old drive
Power On - go in the BIOS and change boot order - SATA first boot drive
Save changes
Restart
After you log in the new windows you can manualy move you all data from old one to the new drive - copy & paste - the User data is in C:\\documents and settings\User ( the name of you old User name )

After you`r done
Power off and take out PATA drive and give it to the kids to play with :)

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

I wish you good luck :)
If it was SATA to SATA OS clone scenario i`m agree - you can use one of 100 software , tools etc.
But PATA to SATA - i`m expecting BSOD .....

After all you can allays try something new :)
And hwo knows maybe you got the right tool :)

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Can you explain how going from a PATA interface to a SATA interface will cause a BSOD?

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

I can't believe I forgot about Clonezilla! +1 to you sir.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

When you clone the OS - and i asume we talk about Win XP here ( PATA drive ) - you can do it with no problem.
But when you power on the SATA cloned Win XP you gonna get BSOD coz the os is installed for pata drivers and in most case you gonna have you ACHI mode for the SATA drive in you BIOS.

You can try change you SATA mode from ACHI to IDE compatible and maybe you gonna skip BSOD
It was long ago i`v used PATA drives but as i can recall that was never work for me ....
Let`s hope the current tools can handle PATA clone !
Good luck

Solution