Where in house to build computer

edmurfman

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Gonna be building my first computer tomorrow when the parts come in. I keep reading not to build it on carpet but my entire apartment other than the rather small bathroom is carpet. Would it be okay to put my computer parts on my table which has metal legs but a wood top and have myself sitting on a chair with metal legs and a wood back support and wood seat? And if anyone has any other suggestions before I start it would be much appreciated.

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

You will be fine doing it on the table. Just make sure to take care to discharge static electricity. When you first sit down, ground yourself on the computer case before touching other parts. Try not to get up while the build is in progress.

edmurfman

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Thanks I was kind of scared as I didn't know if that would be alright but I'll make sure I discharge frequently. Thanks for the help! I'm excited :)

i have built all of my computers standing on either carpet or carpet with a plastic office chair protection mat.

i would suggest wearing shoes and would suggest you not wear fleece or sweatpants.

lay your case on the table and before you touch any part touch the case first. touching the metal case too many times is preferential over touching it not enough times. i've never had an issue with static discharge. if you are paranoid get one of the grounding wrist straps to clip to your case.