Best Motherboard To Date?

DavidDennison

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I'm looking to build a desktop after years of having the same old desktop. I want the best mother board for around $200-$400. With the best combo of RAM slots and at least 2 PCI slots for graphics cards (maybe more depending on price) and best processor. I wish there was a website where I could build my own bother board depending on features and then it could give me which one is the closest, but unless you guys can give me a website, I'm stuck. So in your best opinions, whats the best out there? Thanks guys!

EDIT: Also planning on getting this graphics card:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4861186&CatId=7387

And possibly want to SLI with a cheaper graphics card. Any suggestions about that?

Nahtangnouv

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
well, for me personally I am an asrock fan, so ill recommend the following Asrock Extreme6 priced at around 160$ Asrock Extreme 9 Price around 300$ and Asrock extreme 11 priced aorund 400$+

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Even if you do not purchase your hardware from Newegg (www.newegg.com), you can sort anything on there. If you use their "advanced" sorting, you can select every feature you want and see if it returns anything. Also, there is no "best motherboard" simply because every motherboard from every manufacturer has the potential to run into issues. Even though most people seem to hate ASRock, I have had a fine experience using them. GIGABYTE is also very popular.

This is a nice GPU, wish I could afford it ;)

You cannot "SLI with a cheaper graphics card." That is not possible, sorry :( However, you can use a cheaper card as a PhysX slave. Most games do not use PhysX, but the games that do, you can increase your FPS by quite a bit if you have a PhysX slave. In my rig I have a GTX 660 with a GTS 450 as a PhysX slave. In games like Borderlands (which use PhysX a lot f you have it enabled) the FPS gains are substantial (10+ usually). If you want to SLI, I would recommend buying two of the exact same card.

Add-on: I would also like to note that a motherboard only supports SLI if it comes with an SLI cable. Look in product descriptions (or that last picture on Newegg for any motherboard) and make sure it includes an SLI bridge; if it does not, then it will not support SLI.

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Also, I would recommend a GPU that pushes air out the back of your case rather than filling your case with more heat. EVGA GPUs are the best (I know many will agree with me on this ;) ) and all EVGA GPUs push air out the back of your case (like this card).