First post and question

Do aftermarket CPU fans actually keep your CPU cooler?

• Yes, of course.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, that's untrue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Plasmio

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
So I recently signed up for another computer forums, but was disappointed with the experience I got from it, so I'll try TH out. I'm in the process of building my first computer. It's going to be a budget gaming computer. I went with a Phenom II 965 for a processor. What I want to ask is whether or not an aftermarket fan would be necessary for OCing to maybe 3.8 or 4.0Ghz(stock is 3.4). The only response I got from anyone on the other forum was how aftermarket CPU fans were useless and did nothing. I'd like some more input on this, because I know the Phenom sometimes bottlenecks on stock frequency.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Hyper 212 EVO or Noctua NH-D14 will be all the cooling you would want unless you plan to go more than you've stated...then you might want to look at something like a H80i liquid cooling system.

My personal advice is to spend ~$25-30 on the Hyper 212 EVO and don't look back...it's a great value.

EDIT: Be sure to get a good thermal paste to apply between the CPU and Fan, you'll want to put just a dot about pea sized in the center of the CPU and press the heatsink/fan down carefully but firmly to spread the thermal paste. Something like Arctic Silver or Cooler Master would be a good one to look at for about $10

Welcome to the forums :)

Plasmio

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Thank you for giving a direct answer. I've heard that the Hyper 212 is a good choice several times and may go with it. The only possible problem is whether or not it will fit in my case. I have a mid case.

8350rocks

Distinguished

It's not that big comparatively, just make sure if your RAM is close to your CPU on your board that it clears the top of your RAM. Otherwise no worries :) it fits in a mid case easily.

If you like my answer, please share some solution love!