GTX 560 ti 1gb SLI and Battlefield 3

EpicPowered

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I currently have a GTX 560 ti 1gb and I am considering about using SLI in the future. But I heard that, since VRAM doesn't double up, I'm going to get a lot of FPS drops on ultra settings because of the lack of VRAM. But I also heard that 8gb of RAM should do the trick to stop the FPS drops. I have 8gb 1333mhz of RAM. Will I be experiencing FPS drops?

Specs:
Corsair CX600 PSU (will upgrade if necessary for SLI)
i5-2310 (not overclocked)
8gb 1333mhz RAM
GTX 560 ti 1gb
ASRock H77M motherboard

EDIT: I will be playing at 1080p/1920x1080

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure what problem you are experiencing, or expect to experience. My 2 GTX 570s only have 1.28GB, and I have had no issues with BF3 ultra settings at 1080p. I can't remember what the last FPS results I got were, and the game is uninstalled from my machine at present so I can't re-test it. But game play was buttery smooth, no stutter.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I don't know what that person was talking about, unless he was referring to system RAM and not VRAM. You can't upgrade memory on your gfx card, anyway. At 1080p, there should be no issue with high textures levels. There wasn't for me. Usually the extra VRAM is only needed for higher than 1080p resolutions. I haven't found BF3 to be all that graphically demanding of a game at Ultra.

EpicPowered

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I know you can't upgrade the RAM on the gfx card. I've heard about the problems on many other threads too and I want to make sure that I won't get these problems if I SLI with 1gb cards.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your biggest problem with 2 cards won't be the lack of VRAM, anyway. If anything, it will be the possibility of micro-stutter in some games. I haven't experienced it with my cards yet, but I have experienced it with a pair of HD 6850s I used to have.