Report: Haswell Core i5 Benchmarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

And I can't see these posts in the comments either. :??:

EDIT: Actually, yes I can. But I'm not really any happier with being able to see them than I was before – all the posts shown with the "see more" or whatever it is come up on the top. Ghastly.

SB and IB both clock down to 1.6GHz, so clocking down to 800MHz is essentially going down to 1/2 of the idle clock. If paired with even lower voltages at 800MHz then it would mean massive power savings for 'always on' equipment.
I use my rig as both a gaming/production rig, as well as the home file server. Because of it's file server uses my machine is not ever allowed to go to sleep. Sandy Bridge is not a huge power hog, but my next upgrade should be to Skylake or Skymont in ~3-4 years, and the idle power on that should be essentially nothing.

The bigger issue for power use on computers is the GPU. My wife's last upgrade went from a Core2Duo with a 8600GT to an Ivy Bridge i3 with HD4000 graphics. Sure, the CPU takes less than 1/2 of the power at idle, but dropping the GPU made for massive gains in power consumption. Even my own rig went from a 9800GT to a GTX570 which has a pretty big drop in idle power consumption, but moving to a chip just 1 gen later would cut that in half again.

Its a work in progress and we have overdosed all of our devs on coffee and they are working like slaves to fix the bugs.

Some of the mods have not slept in a week and while that is ok for AI's like MouseMonkey, the rest of us are human (bar one).

Please report issues in the forum feedback area so we can sling them over to the devs for action ... posting here means we only find out if it is reported because of poor behaviour.

Help us sort these problems out constructively please?

:)

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

I would imagine they're only restating this, as in the chips will still be overclockable via BCLK and that the base feature will not be removed. This is very likely one of the locked CPUs. I don't see a reason for them dropping the whole "Unlocked" CPU lineup due to the fact they sell like hot cakes, and they really don't lose money off of it (it's not like every guy and lady is killing their CPUs left and right with overclocking).

I miss my quote button on the news page -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.