Magnetized hsf stand off

Acquisitive

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Went to install my new hsf and realized the stand off's are magnetized. Contacted manufacturer several days ago and still no response. Will they cause a problem?

Acquisitive

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Hey clutchc, thanks for your inquiry.

ASROCK EXTREME9 w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. The part that's magnetized is the black area above the threads and when installed is flush w/ the mb. The mb has circuits around the holes.

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/Wakunata/media/Standoff.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/Wakunata/media/Standoff.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=136578904434809708940249641464

Admittedly, I haven't built nor kept up w/ comp tech in 12yrs. But back then, I was told anything magnetic should never be used inside let alone installed into a comp. What I'm trying to find out is if these magnetized stand off's are going to cause data corruption or any other problems. Especially due to them sitting on top of the circuitry.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've got that same cooler on my board in my sig. Never noticed they were magnetic, to tell the truth. I can't imagine a little residual magnetism hurting anything when they are sitting right next to a processor that produces RF in the gigahertz range. It's not like they are close to magnetic media that could be erased. I use a magnetic screwdriver all the time on my builds to help hold screws and pick up dropped screws.

And the standoffs should not be sitting on any "circuitry". They should pass thru the 4 holes that the stock cooler passed thru.