Would a trinity cpu be enough?

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I am planning a build to play minecraft maxed and to do general schoolwork and watch YouTube videos. I want to include an ssd in this build. My max budget is around $750 (including os) but I would like it to be as cheap as possible. I'm considering trinity. it has the gpu power I need (I've seen benchmarks of minecraft maxed at 90fps on a 1200p monitor), but would it be powerful enough cpu wise? if I go with trinity, I would have the money to include an ssd, so would a trinity cpu be enough for my needs and would it bottleneck the ssd? my other option is an i3 with intel hd graphics, which would play minecraft maxed out at about 50 if I used optifine, and this will only improve if I wait till haswell. This isn't a gaming pc, so don't tell me do ditch the ssd for a video card, I would rather settle with medium settings (which I know the intel hd 4000 can do) than skimp on the actual speed of the pc

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I think the AMD APUs are perfectly designed for folks like you. I put together a build awhile back with a A10-5800K (no discrete card) and it ran most games excellent at 1366x768 using max settings. Some ran fine at 1920x1080p with reduced settings. And Minecraft isn't a very graphically demanding game anyway. In the future, if you decide you want to improve the graphics capability to run more demanding games, you can still always add a discrete card. The quad core processor part of the APU mentioned above is right up there with the faster Phenom II X4s:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
...so no worry about the CPU capabilities.

Btw, a CPU or GPU can't bottleneck a SSD. When we talk about bottlenecking, we are usually referring to a CPU being too slow to keep up with the discrete GPU.

AMD's Richland APU is coming out in June I believe so if you can you should wait for it. Not sure what the increase in CPU core performance will be, but it will be an improvement over Trinity's CPU core.

The most powerful Richland APU will come with the integrated Radeon HD 8670D (???) GPU core and it has been speculated to be a 20% - 40% improvement over the current most powerful iGPU, the Radeon HD 7660D. The Radeon HD 7660D is a little faster than a desktop Radeon HD 5570 graphics card. If the Radeon HD 8670D (???) is going to be 20% more powerful than the Radeon HD 7660D, then the performance should be a little better than the Radeon HD 5670; say like maybe 5% - 10% faster. If the performance increase comes in at the high end of that range; 40%; then it will probably have around 85% - 90% the performance of a Radeon HD 6670.

8350rocks

Distinguished

+1 both of them are steering you right.

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

ok thanks ill either get the 5800k or the richland equivalent if its out by the time I build